Advise on a watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoda-X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Okay, so I admit I am an equipment whore. Do I buy stuff I don't need just because it's shiny and cool? Yup:D

So, between the wife and I we have 3 dive computers; 2 Zoops and a Zeagle N2ition! Do I need another computer? Yeah, like I need another hole in my head:shakehead:

But, I have always wanted a really nice dive watch just couldn't justify the expense. Well, now I don't really need to justify it.....just need to do it. So, here is the dilemma I am hoping you folks can give me help with;

Option #1) invest some serious cash and get a Tag Heuer. This would be a nice shiny tell the time and that's about it wrist weight. Gorgeous watch.....but it's just that....something to tell the time.

Option #2) get something sexy like the Oceanic OCI with air integration. Would give me a sexy looking wrist weight that does more than just tell me what time it is.

Option #3) get a dive computer (not air integrated) that doubles as a nice looking watch and could be a backup computer.

Option #4) save my money and buy something else later that I might need.

as you can see, I am struggling with these horribly difficult choices that are SO SO SO important in the grand scheme of life (joke).

So, should I go with one of these options or do you folks have a better recommendation?

see what happens when I have long layovers at the airport.......I have these horrible debates in my head, lol!!

hit me with some answers:crafty::eyebrow::coffee:

We are on our way to Roatan right now. Just got on the plane and waiting to depart. Wife is new to diving and LOVE LOVE LOVES it. Already planning Chanel Islands in California, another trip to Roatan and possibly a trip to Cozumel. That should get us through the Spring lol

I always dive with a dive watch, after 44 years of diving it just registers quicker in my head with a glance for elapsed time
19572883439_a9dbb2b4c9_c.jpg
completely unnecessary but works for me

I love watches - I have about a dozen - mostly nice fashion watches. I wear an inexpensive, utilitarian watch when diving mostly because I am used to wearing a watch.

My opinion is that if you want a dive watch then you should get one. Don't get another dive computer because you are still going to want a watch.

But you don't have to pay for a TH just to get a dive watch; you can find a nice dive watch to "scratch that itch" for a lot less money. Below is the link to a sport diver article that may give you some ideas. Some of the watches (like the Ulysse Nardin Marine Diver) cost as much as an economy car but others are around $200, so there is quite a wide selection!

Of course, buying a TH is an investment in a beautifully crafted, classic instrument that will probably retain it's value over time; but I would be worried about breaking or losing it on vacation. I would rather buy a high-quality (nice but not exorbitant) watch and spend the money on something else.

Like some fabulous jewelry and/or a fashion watch for your wife! :marriage:

Dive Watches | Scuba Diving | Best Dive Gear | Sport Diver

I thought I needed a dive watch a few years ago and bought a nice Seiko. After 6 or 8 dives with it I realized I never looked at it, only the computer. I wore it for everyday until the Apple Watch appeared and now it's laying in a drawer.

Citizens.jpgAlthough dive watches are no longer a viable dive tool, they are great for knowing how long 'til breakfast is served, entering the shower without fear, and using the bezel to know when you'll be able to get off the plane. Citizen makes several models water resistant to 200 - 300 meters and solar powered to be accurate to about 15 seconds per month in their eco-drive line. For a no nonsense dive watch check out the venerable Citizen BN0000-04H on the right for around $200.

Back
Top Bottom