Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations! Have a fabulous (and safe!) time in Hawaii!

Some good advice about the camera. An alternative is to attach it to some part of your gear, press record before you go in and then leave it alone for the dive. Might not get the Oscar but you will capture some lovely memories.

And ask the DM or your buddy to take a pic of you underwater. Selfies are soooo 2015 :giggle:

Then post the pic here for us

I'm guessing the off brand Go Pro is likely an Intova. If so this is a great little camera that is easy to use, has a built in display, takes decent stills, and nice videos. Also less than 1/2 the price of a Go Pro. I have one and use it with students in the pool and open water.

As for your overall experience this is unfortunately common in too many cases. People get rushed through classes because there are often no minimums as to time that must be spent in the pool or classroom. If there are then the minimums are totally inadequate for many people. You did the right thing by calling the dive and getting away from that operation.

One thing I would suggest you do is to name the instructor and shop that ended up giving you the great service and took the time to make sure you were comfortable. They deserve to see an increase in business by you sharing their name.

The other? Well that's up to you to decide but the longer they stay in operation the more chance someone else will get the same negative experience you did.

I hope all the responders can see this response. You guys talked me into not quitting. I called and talked to two other local dive shops. I found one that I felt really good about. He said he only does this with at the most two students at a time. We went out just him and I. I was very comfortable in the gear and enjoyed the first two dives. I was excited to go back the next day to finish the last two dives. I now have my certification and am ready for Hawaii. My local shop also encouraged me to get an off brand go pro camera for the trip. Thanks again. Now I know the difference it makes to have good fitting equipment and I know a good dive shop. Thanks again.

Absolutely great... I would agree with the others on the camera. Strap it to you somewhere and just let it record or leave it for later. Be sure to get the DM or someone to film you for a little while. Cameras are a distraction to new divers and you will be task loaded enough without worrying about the camera.

If you do strap it to something make sure it's secure!! My very first open water training dive I found a go pro attached to a head harness :yeahbaby: I didn't keep it but took it to the dive trailer, did not want to anger the sea gods, and wanted to build up a little karma in case i ever lose mine :wink: .

Maybe the previous owner angered them, and it was meant as a reward for you?

:acclaim:

:eyebrow:

I've been following this for a while but didn't post since you already had all the advice needed. So congratulations! I was going to say that I always advise us Northerners to get certified locally if possible in case you will be diving locally, and it makes tropical diving so much easier. But, you've done that too.

Think twice about the go pro for a bit. They are not as user friendly as the point and shoot type cameras. You can't see what you have got until you down load it. The screen is tiny and if you accidentally hit the button it can switch from video to single to burst etc. there is no focus and they are good for what they are....but not great. Cannon makes a dive safe camera, I think it is a D80, that a lady had on our boat and it was really nice. Most companies have a version as well. I think the Olympus tg4 is popular as well.

We have a go pro....I wish I had the Cannon. It's rated for 80 feet but the lady on the boat had taken hers over 100 several times with no issues.

Now, here is the argument for leaving the camera alone. The camera distracts from the dive. Instead of enjoying the dive, you are worried about getting pictures or video. I enjoy diving much more when my wife has the camera or we leave it on the boat.

Safety wise, as a new diver, it is easy to get task loaded and the camera is a distraction. Between fighting buoyancy issues, following the group, watching your computer, burning through air, and generally getting your skills down, you are probably better off without the camera for a while. If you have already bought it, take a few pics....and the obligatory selfie at depth, then clip it off for the rest of the dive and enjoy being a fish for a while.

Welcome to the addiction, all that money won't spend itself!

Safe travels!
Jay
Think twice about the go pro for a bit. They are not as user friendly as the point and shoot type cameras. You can't see what you have got until you down load it. The screen is tiny and if you accidentally hit the button it can switch from video to single to burst etc. there is no focus and they are good for what they are....but not great. Cannon makes a dive safe camera, I think it is a D80, that a lady had on our boat and it was really nice. Most companies have a version as well. I think the Olympus tg4 is popular as well.

We have a go pro....I wish I had the Cannon. It's rated for 80 feet but the lady on the boat had taken hers over 100 several times with no issues.

Now, here is the argument for leaving the camera alone. The camera distracts from the dive. Instead of enjoying the dive, you are worried about getting pictures or video. I enjoy diving much more when my wife has the camera or we leave it on the boat.

Safety wise, as a new diver, it is easy to get task loaded and the camera is a distraction. Between fighting buoyancy issues, following the group, watching your computer, burning through air, and generally getting your skills down, you are probably better off without the camera for a while. If you have already bought it, take a few pics....and the obligatory selfie at depth, then clip it off for the rest of the dive and enjoy being a fish for a while.

Welcome to the addiction, all that money won't spend itself!

Safe travels!
Jay

Before you start adding tasks (photography/videography) you need to perfect the skills you were exposed to (but certainly haven't mastered) during certification. As soon as you get a camera in your hands your buoyancy and trim will go to hell unless you have those skills down to a reflex.

The absolute best diver I ever met gave me this advice: "Your card is a learners permit. You need to practice all those skills you were introduced to till you have them down to a conditioned reflex. Do only one at a time till you perfect it before you move on to the next. First buoyancy, then trim, then ...And always, ALWAYS minimize your new task load."

Agree with Kharon. Practise all the skills regularly, especially when new to diving. I, like many, did not. Later on review one now and again. It also helps to mimick doing them on land.

I am SO sorry you experienced this! I'm a fairly new diver (9 months) and my instructor made me so comfortable in all situations. He also wouldn't allow me to give up during the "flooding the mask" portion. He gently coaxed me down multiple times until I was absolutely comfortable. I now have 130 dives under my belt and am in the middle of Divemaster training! You should have full faith in your ability as well as full trust in your instructor/dive shop. Trust your gut instinct and demand correct sizes/gear, etc. You are paying for this training afterall. Good luck and happy bubbles!

Back
Top Bottom