Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely go with another shop....or even better a private instructor. When we were certified the going rate was around 350 from the shops for open water. We met an instructor that did it for 125 or 150 each (can't remember), only 4 of us in the class (me, wife, and 2 daughters), and the entire experience was absolutely perfect. Visability was poor for open water skills so he took us down 2 at a time. I've been hooked ever since....like crack, but probably cheaper...

He had all of his own equipment so we did not have to buy anything unless we wanted to. After the first pool session, we started buying our own. Just a great experience.

Worse case scenario, rent a full set of equipment for a day, that way you know it fits.

Good luck,
Jay

Awww. Sorry you had a bad start but don't give up. Gear that fits is a dream to dive in. It's like putting on your favorite sweater (well, almost). I think you will have more fun if you already have your certification when you get to Hawaii instead of doing check out dives. Find the shops near your home and go for a visit. Tell them what your goals are and ask about their rental gear. Ask to try it on. Talk to other divers and the instructor if you can. Diving is such a step forward over snorkeling. It's a whole new world. Don't let one bad experience take it away from you. Good luck. You can do this!

When I was a new diver, I went to Bonaire by myself. The ink wasn't even dry on my C-card. I called the dive shop and talked to the owner. I told them I was brand new. They were very nice and so helpful. The dive master I went out with encouraged me and showed me every fish and coral in the sea. Everyone on the boat was very helpful as well. On the way back from the first dive, we came across a pod of Pilot Whales. It was such a treat. I was thrilled and I knew I was meant to dive.

The question I have for you is I am going to Hawaii in October. The main island and Kawai. I wanted the certification for that trip. I was wondering what your thoughts are on getting certified there, making that my dive when I go.
You can do that. The OW dives have skills to do during the dives, but they do not take a lot of time. The dives you end up doing will not be that much different from the dives you would have been doing if you were already certified.

The diving will be much different, though. If you plan on diving locally after you return, you will want to get some firt hand experience with that with people who know what they are doing, either with a shop or with a knowledgeable friend.

Absolutely agree with the above. No worries doing it in Hawaii. That being said make sure that the shop in Hawaii won't rush you through because they are busy. Also you will be well served finding a supportive shop in your area or a freelance instructor who is trustworthy for future training and mentoring.

I'm sure there are folks on here especially the regional forums who can help you find such a instructor.

The question I have for you is I am going to Hawaii in October. The main island and Kawai. I wanted the certification for that trip. I was wondering what your thoughts are on getting certified there, making that my dive when I go. I am just wondering if I should do that or make plans here with another shop.
I agree with John. You have already completed your classroom and pool work, so all you need to do is your open water check out dives. Ask the shop where you did your initial work for a referral form that you can give to the instructor in Hawaii, and he or she can take it from there. You might consider requesting a female instructor if that makes you more comfortable. The important thing to remember is that it is impossible to "fail" the open water course unless you decide to quit. Most instructors are committed to taking whatever time it takes to make sure you can dive safely and with a degree of competence.

poor fitting gear is the worst! What a good call in calling the dive. That's a great habit to have, not going forward when you are not feeling it. It will help keep you safe. I agree that you might want to find another shop close to home to do your check out dives so you can do fun dives in Hawaii. But if that's not possible you can do it in Hawaii. Ask if you can go in a day before to try on the gear for fit. I'd want to do that to reassure myself. Let us know how it goes...and welcome aboard!

poor fitting gear is the worst! What a good call in calling the dive. That's a great habit to have, not going forward when you are not feeling it. It will help keep you safe. I agree that you might want to find another shop close to home to do your check out dives so you can do fun dives in Hawaii. But if that's not possible you can do it in Hawaii. Ask if you can go in a day before to try on the gear for fit. I'd want to do that to reassure myself. Let us know how it goes...and welcome aboard!

I hope all the responders can see this response. You guys talked me into not quitting. I called and talked to two other local dive shops. I found one that I felt really good about. He said he only does this with at the most two students at a time. We went out just him and I. I was very comfortable in the gear and enjoyed the first two dives. I was excited to go back the next day to finish the last two dives. I now have my certification and am ready for Hawaii. My local shop also encouraged me to get an off brand go pro camera for the trip. Thanks again. Now I know the difference it makes to have good fitting equipment and I know a good dive shop. Thanks again.

Think twice about the go pro for a bit. They are not as user friendly as the point and shoot type cameras. You can't see what you have got until you down load it. The screen is tiny and if you accidentally hit the button it can switch from video to single to burst etc. there is no focus and they are good for what they are....but not great. Cannon makes a dive safe camera, I think it is a D80, that a lady had on our boat and it was really nice. Most companies have a version as well. I think the Olympus tg4 is popular as well.

We have a go pro....I wish I had the Cannon. It's rated for 80 feet but the lady on the boat had taken hers over 100 several times with no issues.

Now, here is the argument for leaving the camera alone. The camera distracts from the dive. Instead of enjoying the dive, you are worried about getting pictures or video. I enjoy diving much more when my wife has the camera or we leave it on the boat.

Safety wise, as a new diver, it is easy to get task loaded and the camera is a distraction. Between fighting buoyancy issues, following the group, watching your computer, burning through air, and generally getting your skills down, you are probably better off without the camera for a while. If you have already bought it, take a few pics....and the obligatory selfie at depth, then clip it off for the rest of the dive and enjoy being a fish for a while.

Welcome to the addiction, all that money won't spend itself!

Safe travels!
Jay

Oh boy!! Welcome to the club, have a fantastic time in Hawaii, and believe me when I say you will have a better time without the camera at this point. You will prob be frustrated at the quality of your videos, I know I was. There is a huge difference between my video now and then. Still not good at all, but since I've got (better) control of my diving, the shots are better. Just look, relax and enjoy. Dive safe!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom