Advice wanted on Oahu and Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bookymad

Reaction score
There may be a possibility that I may end up going to Big Island and Oahu for winter vacation. Now I'm not yet certified, but hopefully knock on wood, will be before heading out to those islands.

What are the best places for two beginners? I'm not interested in doing anything advanced....since this would be technically my second OW dives after my actual OW dives if I complete those. I'm not really interested in doing shore dives (hate them with a passion after my failed Redondo Beach OW dives), unless someone convinces me otherwise for these islands. So, which LDS are the friendliest towards beginners and take them to the most interesting spots for their level?

By the way, does it make a difference where the LDS shop is located as opposed to where you rent your condo at? Cause if you have to get up early in the morning, and drive around, I'm assuming that on Big Island the distance will add up in time....

Anyway, advice would be appreciated.....I am researching this topic independently but wanted personal input and so on.

What would be the ballpark figure of how much this would cost per diver per day on average?

TIA!!:D

Big Isle has many more shallow dives than does Oahu. Shore divinng on Big Isle is awsome. Living there with my own boat I still shore dove most of the time it was so easy. If you do it on Oahu, expect to be sitting on the boat while the rest dive the wrecks first The diving is good but not like BI. If you do end up choosing BI, don't miss the manta dive. Easy 30 foot, sit on the bottom kind of dive. Great way to do your first night dive.
Stay in Kona and everything is pretty close by. Even Waikoloa is only 30ish minutes from everything in Kona.
All the operations are pretty good, they have to be. Your best bet woruld be to talk to them dirrect.
Good luck and enjoy your visit.

I can give you some input about Oahu.

As far as the transportation goes, it depends. Some ops are willing to drive a bit out the way, some arent. If you are staying at a hotel/resort style area then you can bet they will pick you up so long as its in the same part of the island. However if you are say more than 30 mins away you may need to find a ride. If you are on the other side of the island then you probably for sure have to find a ride. I would say that the majority of dive ops have at least 1 pickup/supply van. Many of them have 3+.

Chartered dives will cost you about 100buks without gear rental for a 2 tank boat dive. If you need gear, figure 7buks per piece. (fins/mask/snorkel 7$, wetsuit and boots 7$, bcd 7$, 2 tanks 7-15$.) I would reccomend if diving in oahu that you do the wreck diving. Many of these are greater than 60ft. Usually 70-100'. Which means advanced "deep" diving. So you may want to do an advanced course on deep diving if you can.

If you can work shore dives into your interest, that would be a great move. Shore diving is awesome and a lot cheaper. Unfortunatley the shore dives on Oahu will be more limited since most of the spots are located on the North Shore. And the winter months bring pounding surf (usually) which makes it undiveable. Although its been flat as ever and totally diveable these past few weeks. So maybe, i doubt it, you will see the same. Otherwise shore dives are kinda limited to the West side which is a bit out of the way and always risk of theft/vandalism. Just bring a friend to watch the car and you will be fine.

Island Divers Hawaii www.oahuscubadiving.com is a good op, i reccomend it and they have multiple vans for pickups along the south shore. All the way from Hickam AFB to Hawaii Kai they pretty much pick you up.

Have fun!

I used Aaron's in Oahu and they do pickups in Honolulu and Waikiki. Great op and they take you to very good sites.

Cheers.

-J.-

Advice for the BI: Jack's Diving Locker www.jacksdivinglocker.com is great with noobs. I got certified with them. The DM's are all great people, and will really hold your hand through the process if neccessary. They're also great at spotting interesting marine life. This op a policy of shallower dives (60 ft. max) which is great because there didn't seem to be too much anything to see below 60 ft. and the shallow depth meant you don't have to worry as much about your no decompression limits. Do the manta ray night dive. It's dark, a little surgy, and the eels are out hunting, but don't let that intimidate you. It's one of the most surreal experiences one can have diving. Pricing is in the range of $100 per person for a two tank dive.

This so ironic that Bookymad posted his/her question, because I will be in Oahu & the BI right after Thanksgiving (for business), and was wondering which isle I should dive on.

From what the experts say, it looks like the BI, I guess I'll have to do a shore dive and also a night dive, I would love to see the manta rays!!!

Now I'm REALLY excited to go!!!

Thanks from me also,

Steve C :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom