Advice wanted: can my BCD take a double set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brewone0to:
Why not buy a pair of larger tanks you would need for doubles,and dive them as singles? You wouldn't need the isolation manifold,the second reg set,the bands or be concerned about ending up on the bottom the first time you step off a boat.More tanks are good. And staging the purchase could allow buying steel tanks of a larger volume (108's maybe) Then his current tank could later be used as a stage or deco tank
just my 2 cents
(And the money saved on the extras could go along ways toward a suitable BCD)

I'll second that. Really sounds like the way to go. Tech diving can be very expensive, and there is no quick way to get there. Buy the gear in stages and work with it. Time takes time.

Ken

It is so funny to read the previous posts. I think nobody tried it and have done the double set up on that BCD. And then, you guys are judging the set up?

1. SP manual and BCD tag also shows the double rig’s compatibility.
2. SP actually used to sells the double band (it has a hard loop on the band) for the BCD.
3. Two holes on the back plate are used to attach the SS band or travel band.
4. I have SP Classic Plus and Knighthawk. Occasionally, I am diving with AL80s in both independent double and manifold. There is no problem AT ALL.
5. If you don’t plan to move to the tech diving and if you want to extend your bottom time and have a redundant air source, it is way to go…. Don’t get me wrong, I am also diving BP/W rig. For a rec. diving, the ordinary BCD is Ok with the light bottles.
6. Sure, you can use a dual yoke manifold with the solid SS band, not travel band. In that case, you only need one regulator....

Please let me know if you want to get a SS harp loop band and dual yoke manifold. I am moving to tech so I don't need it anymore.

Ok. First off I have been diving the same site and same conditions for 13 years. Last year I had 314 dives and this year have 197 so far. I say this to show that I am very comfortable at this site and these conditions. About 3 months ago I became interested in diving doubles. So I did. I had the machine shop make bands for two AL 80's and put them on my Black Diamond. Put two regs on them and went diving. Had problems with turning over so started breathing 500 psi per tank then switch. Still had problems so started switching at every 300. Got so that I was pretty comfortable in the setup.

My point is this: I felt comfortable enough to go for it so I did.

My next point is: I bought a Zeagle Scout and am back to singles with a smaller BC. Found out doubles was not for me. Total of 20 dives with the independent doubles.

I have no problem giving advice on the internet. You should think long and hard before taking the advice or not.

BTW, you can attach doubles to that BC. It has the same backplate as a Black Diamond.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom