Advice requested: first dive in Turks and Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...be careful though......I've been to T&C twice ( T&C Explorer week long liveaboards) and had a good time....but the wall diving (which is actually my favorite type of diving) can be a little spooky to a new diver as they are 7000 ft. straight down....kinda like hanging off the edge of the Grand Canyon....KEWL ! :cool2:

7000 ft.???

That' scary!!! :shocked2:

...be careful though......I've been to T&C twice ( T&C Explorer week long liveaboards) and had a good time....but the wall diving (which is actually my favorite type of diving) can be a little spooky to a new diver as they are 7000 ft. straight down....kinda like hanging off the edge of the Grand Canyon....KEWL ! :cool2:

7000 ft.???

That' scary!!! :shocked2:

That depends upon you.

For me, it was just that kind of experience that helped get me hooked on diving. When I went out over the wall and could see nothing but dark blue below me, it was as if I had stepped off a cliff overlooking a beautiful landscape and floated in place. It was a wonderful feeling. Remember that you should be neutrally buoyant at this point, so you should hover effortlessly in place.

In reality, as far as danger is concerned, there is no real difference between 7,000 feet below you and a couple hundred feet below you.

I just got back from a week on a live-aboard in Turks & Caicos and I can tell you that the diving is very very nice. We went to the 3 places that you mentioned. I just posted some pictures to whet your appetite.
Venture Explorers Live-Aboard in Turks & Caicos

Regarding whether 3 days is enough to learn to dive. The answer is no. It is enough to start your education, but you will continue to be learning for several years after as well and booking dives for the next 4 days is a perfect way to do that. Diving in such a nice place with so few dives is a double edged sword. You will be utterly amazed at everything you see but you will not have the experience yet to feel completely comfortable.
On the live-aboard last week, there was a young woman who had only 4 dives before and doubled her dives in the first day!
She enjoyed it immensely but made some decisions that I would not have made (like going to her Nitrox max depth, just to go deep).

I would stick with one operator and stay with the DM at all times. If you are going with a buddy, make sure you practice good buddy skills.
Don't push yourself and take some time during the dives to practice your skills. Go slow.. resist the urge to zoom around. You will see more if you stay still or go very very slow and wait for things to come to you.
BTW, you will probably see sharks on some of your dives in T&C, so be prepared. They are fun to be around.

Thank you all for your answers, they all gave me good suggestions. I'll definitely book additional dives and I'm really looking forward to it.

My wife won't be diving though so I'll try to compromise and spend some time snorkeling with her as well.

My wife won't be diving though so I'll try to compromise and spend some time snorkeling with her as well.

That's the story of my life as a diver. If you are considerate to her needs, it should all work fine.

Part of the PADI standards for each Open Water dive is to allow time for exploration and fun! We have a great time during certification dives here on Maui!!!

If you get to Grand Turk, Gibbs Cay and Salt Cay are both good places to relax and unwind. They have sting rays to play with at Gibbs and a great place to snorkel at Salt.

Giant Anemone at North West Point Provo! You will love it!
600_IMG_2800_Giant_Anemone_At_W_point_Provo_T_C_A_II_07.jpg

Back
Top Bottom