Advice: Recommended parts for a Save-A-Dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderWaterFlyerGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a new diver, and I've heard the importance of having Save-A-Dive kits on hand.

Save-A-Dive
Advice on what to carry:
O-rings (Nitrox ready)
Replacement mask strap
Spare Mask?
Replacement Fin Straps

Normal stuff:
First Aid kit..sunscreen.. normal carry...

Can't tell if that was a statement or question.

I have built my own kit over the years. I carry a sampling of a wide variety of sizes of nitrox compatible o-rings, mask strap, adjustable wrench, allen wrench set, regulator port plugs, spare LP hose, and spare zip seals for my drysuit. I used to carry spare fin straps, but not since I moved to spring straps.

This is a frequent topic that has been covered many times.

A good review can be found at
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...ve-kit-dry-box-mega-thread-work-progress.html

What I actually use out of my save a dive kit is usually tie wraps, double ended boltsnap, snorkel keepers to replace octo holders, and short sections of cord and bungee to replace lanyards or to tie together broken gear. And of course, duct tape.

Thanks for the replies and info!

I think a save-a-dive kit evolves as your ability to do field repairs evolves. For a new diver, having spares of things you're likely to lose (like tank o-rings) or forget (like gloves) or break (like mask and fin straps) makes sense. Remember, you aren't the only one whose forgetfulness or forcefulness will scrub the dive -- I've given gloves to a lot of people, but have never forgotten my own.

As you gain familiarity and confidence with your gear, allen wrenches and adjustable wrenches, and a variety of sizes of o-rings, and even spare hoses become useful. Duct tape is a must, zip-ties can do all kinds of amazing things, and in my world, an assortment of boltsnaps and double-enders is a good thing, too.

When you aspire to mastery of the save-a-dive kit, you will be like Tobin George, and carry a hand-held welding torch and a soldering gun. I'm not there yet . . .

Back
Top Bottom