Advice re: trim please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefraff:
Slightly head down is good - that's the most streamlined position for your body.

I would have to disagree. Your going to create other problems with this, one being your feild of view.

Don't be diving the doubles in your fundamentals class unless you are well aquainted with them... there is plenty to learn besides trim with doubles (and miss if you are putzing around trying to figure out the doubles.)

Uncle Pug:
Don't be diving the doubles in your fundamentals class unless you are well aquainted with them... there is plenty to learn besides trim with doubles (and miss if you are putzing around trying to figure out the doubles.)

Hmmm, I thought what would be a better way than a GUE instructor shows you proper hose routing, and proper valve drills than while DIR-F... Have to start somewhere. I don’t see any harm with that. It's like telling OW student not to bring BW/WING because adjusting might be overwhelming with all the other scuba gear they have to learn.

Uncle Pug:

UP,

I slightly disagree with you on this one. My feeling is that the DIR-F class is all about learning basic Fundamental skills. One of the things that bugs me sometimes about some in the industry is that they worry about the lesser of the important things. For example, c-cards and "passing" a class are less of a concern, in my humble view, then getting something of value from the class. In the instant case, you have a diver that isn't very well acquainted with doubles, probably isn't familiar with valve drills, failure points, band placements, roll off valves etc. etc.. In my view, depending on the "goals" of a student he may very well be better served worrying less about "passing", per se, and may get more out of the class by just learning how to set up a set of doubles, how to properly do valve drills, what are the failure points, what is the order of doing shut downs, discussions about roll-off posts etc. etc.,..

One of the things I'm noticing that since the DIR-F class went to a pass/fail is that all too many students are chasing the wrong duck. I tell my students all the time, don't worry about the c-card worry about the content and the info contained in the class..

Just a few thoughts for consideration.

The arching is important but so is the strap adjustment. Its a fine line between the shoulder straps being snug and still loose enough to slide your arm out. It can be done. Even your suit can affect this.

Joe R.:
The arching is important but so is the strap adjustment. Its a fine line between the shoulder straps being snug and still loose enough to slide your arm out. It can be done.

I actually noticed that because I had to stop midway and make a strap adjustment. It pulled my tanks up.

Sandy

Doc_Sandy:
I hope to get enough practice in by August to be able to take the DIR- F course using my doubles.
Not to disagree with MHK even slightly (since he is a DIRf instructor) but just recently a friend did a DIRf in Seattle and his buddy with a few dives on his doubles was so frustrated he was ready to quit half way through. Both were Seattle PD divers and so were not n00bs to diving by any means. But as far as the doubles goes he was definitely a n00b.

Now to totally agree with with Mike... it isn't about pass/fail/cert card. Go to learn not perform.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom