Advice re: Reverse squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently returned from Cozumel where I had done a dive to about 80 ft. assumed I had equalized adequately on the way down but as I surfaced , I experienced pain in my left ear which persisted for about an hour then resolved.

I live in the Northeast and we've been hit by record pollen levels and I can really feel it. Have been to the ENT who diagnosed it as rhinitis and prescribed cortisone ear drops, cortisone tabs and an antibiotic.

I can't say that it's helped all that much and I find that "irrigating" my nostrils with salt water helps to clean out some of the junk but I'm still feeling some pressure in my nasal/sinus areas.

I have taken an occasional dose of pseuodophed tabs which helps more than anything but I'm aware of the problem that they can cause with habituation. Same with Oxymetazoline nasal spray.

Anyway I was taught that if you are ascending and start to feel pressure on the ears that you halt your ascent, hold your breath for a few seconds and gulp. Has worked in the past fine.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

Yup, reverse squeezes are a problem.. As the pilots say: "Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory". In our world, take as long as you need to descend, but you really can't call off an ascent! Hopefully you have enough gas to back down and try again, as you suggested.

There really isn't a lot of good evidence that medical therapy aimed at decongesting the nose has much effect on the ability of the ears to ventilate. Fortunately, reverse squeezes are less common than the regular kinds, since it is easier for pressurized gas to escape from the middle ear than to be forced into the middle ear through a compromised Eustachian tube.

If you haven't seen it, this video is the usual reply to most of the equalization questions around here. As far as rinsing out the nose, not a lot of evidence that this helps ear disease, but it is great for the sinuses. Try this...

I'm glad that your squeeze eventually resolved!

Mike

Thanks for your feedback Doc.

I just bought that Nielmed rinse which I'm taking with me.

Sy

Yup, reverse squeezes are a problem.. As the pilots say: "Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory". In our world, take as long as you need to descend, but you really can't call off an ascent! Hopefully you have enough gas to back down and try again, as you suggested.

There really isn't a lot of good evidence that medical therapy aimed at decongesting the nose has much effect on the ability of the ears to ventilate. Fortunately, reverse squeezes are less common than the regular kinds, since it is easier for pressurized gas to escape from the middle ear than to be forced into the middle ear through a compromised Eustachian tube.

If you haven't seen it, this video is the usual reply to most of the equalization questions around here. As far as rinsing out the nose, not a lot of evidence that this helps ear disease, but it is great for the sinuses. Try this...

I'm glad that your squeeze eventually resolved!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom