Advice re employment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alan234

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I'm after a bit of advice. A few years ago (2013) I did my IDC and IE in Koh Tao. I've worked a lot there, and also bit in Europe since. I'm trying to obtain work now in Western Europe for the summer and then possibly Australia after, but have had feedback from several dive centres explaining that they won't take on instructors trained in Thailand, as well as a few other locations renowned for being 'high producing' in the dive industry. It's got to the stage that I'm now actually considering not mentioning on my CV where I did my IDC, and simply listing my extensive work experience and training. Can anyone let me know whether there'd be any way that potential employers can find out where I did my IDC and IE, if I didn't include it on my CV? For those of you that are dive centre owners, when employing a new instructor do you often tend to call up where the instructor completed their IDC in order to obtain a reference? Any advice would be a great help - I'm bit worried! Thank you.

Hi Alan,

Now I have a dive shop in the Dominican Republic and it´s little different here, but when I have the dive shop in Spain it´s true, we don´t hire people with the IDC in Thailand.

First, because they make a lot of hurt to the diving industry with the prices they offer, and second because the experience usually it´s not good, they make IDCs without a good training and with people with the minimum experience to be a scuba instructor (sometimes even with less than 100 dives). So, when we hire scuba instructors from Thailand, many times we have to loose time to finish his training...

Of course, it´s not always like that, but sometimes it´s easier to say "we don´t hire Instructors that take IDC in Thailand".

I didn´t see your C.V. but maybe you can send to the end of your resume the place you make the IDC, and if you have diving experience, you can write that in the beginning, so, when the dive owner checks your c.v. maybe he doesn't focus in your IDC because you have good skills or other good jobs.

If you speak more languages, you have sell skills and your own equipment I'm sure you are going to find a job.

Sorry about my English, I'm from Spain and my grammar it´s horrible!!

Lot of luck!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom