Advice please- Sipidan/Kota Kinabalu/ Layang Layang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

Hi everyone
We are trying to book a trip for May/ June to Malaysia. Choices are -
1- fly to Kota Kinabalu and do 4 days of shore based dives. then 4/5 days on the Celebes liveaboard around Sipidan
Or
2- Layang Layang with White Manta or Divemaster, Liveaboard only for 6/7 days.

We recently did a LA on White Manta to the Similans and had a fab trip, so we know the boat is good. No idea about the other two boats though. Aslo is Sipidan better diving than Layand Layang area for a first trip to Malaysia?

Oh the dilemma:confused:
All advice welcome
Thanks
Jo

I will put in 1 vote for Sipadan. I went 3 yrs ago & was amazed by the beauty there. To date I have not been any place prettier. I can not speak of the liveaboards there, we were with Borneo Divers on their resort on Mabul Island. The reefs around Mabul were also very nice with lots to offer.

i too wld vote for sipadan. layang layang is basically for the hammerhead sharks so it is a touch and go. if u dun see the hammerheads (which has happened in some yrs) then there aint alot to see. as for sipadan there is so much more variety... the turtles, sharks, bumpheads, jacks, etc etc

hi, i also vote for sipadan...now i live in Kota Kinabalu and do some dive at Tunku Abdul Rahman Park in Kota Kinabalu...
For the first trip to Malaysia, i suggest you to come and dive in Sipadan.. we also got hammerheads in Sipadan...

I would recommend Sipadan too

Last year my daughter and I stayed with Borneo Divers. Good diving too off the jetty at Mabul and for macro photography this place is heaven.

Last year my daughter and I stayed with Borneo Divers. Good diving too off the jetty at Mabul and for macro photography this place is heaven.
Mabul may be heaven for macro but like many in religions, there are several levels of heaven. Mabul, while still heaven for macro, is a much lower level heaven than Lembeh, Bangka or Ambon, no? :D

Mabul may be heaven for macro but like many in religions, there are several levels of heaven. Mabul, while still heaven for macro, is a much lower level heaven than Lembeh, Bangka or Ambon, no? :D

Absolutely Zippsy, but the OP's options do not include Lembeh, Bangka or Ambon.

True, just setting expectations. :D

Jo, Layang Layang's hammerheads always seem to be around, based on my experience but when I stayed at the resort on the island, it was hit or miss. Some people there for a week saw huge schools, others saw a couple and others saw none - almost in equal numbers. On previous trips on the Black Manta though, every diver at least saw some. Being out on the outside reef seems to allow us to find them easier for some reason. BTW, if you go on the Divemaster to Layang Layang, Chris will clobber you - he greatly enjoyed diving with everyone from your Similans trip and specifically mentioned you! (I work with White Manta Diving but was not on your trip. Thanks very much for the Facebook recommendation).

Comparing LL and Sipadan is hard. It's true that Sipadan will allow you to see more macro than at LL but at LL you will be around a LOT fewer divers. Particularly when diving Dallas and Mariveles reefs, you should be on the only boat in sight. Both places will allow you to see lots of sharks and tornados of jacks / barracuda but hammerheads are almost guaranteed at LL and quite rare at Sipadan. The diving off Kota Kinabalu is nice but not in the league with either Sipadan or LL.

In Summary, I am sure you enjoy either Sipadan or Layang Layang but whatever you do, don’t make Chris cross. :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom