Advice please... (green photos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use photoshop to color correct my photos. Sony DSC-P9 and 10 with sony housing.
The problem is not "green" but lack of the upper spectrum colors, red mainly. Try adjusting the color to add back in these colors. Photoshop user Contributions has a great auto action that will solve most of these issues with a point an click.
Check for underwater.atn if you have phtotshop
i have attached the action. you will need to rename it to underwater.atn for it to work correctly. Again this is a user contribution at Adobe and I suggest that you also go there to give the proper credit to the author.

The "undewater.atn" action Scuba_John is talking about is what I used to correct the pic in my previous post. Works like a champ and takes mere seconds to do. Good luck!

Scuba_John:
I use photoshop to color correct my photos. Sony DSC-P9 and 10 with sony housing.
The problem is not "green" but lack of the upper spectrum colors, red mainly. Try adjusting the color to add back in these colors. Photoshop user Contributions has a great auto action that will solve most of these issues with a point an click.
Check for underwater.atn if you have phtotshop

I use Photoshop elements to work on my pictures and find that if auto levels doesn't do it the color cast tool is my next best friend. Click around in the area that is supposed to be black or white. The resulting photo will either have a brownish-yellowish or a jeans blue hue. Then use the three auto level tools and the pic should look better.
If you have backscatter use the cloning tool, it works wonders.
Good luck,
Lisa

In addition to what has already been said:
If you are too far away for the subject to use the internal strobe then use Manual White Balance. Calibrate it off a dive slate at the depth of your photos. The pics will come out a lot better with a lot less software editing.
Personally, I think the P mode is the worst choice for underwater.

My life is just jam packed with these little learning opportunities. Can't wait until Saturday to get back in the water and try some of your ideas out.

On a different note - how often do you mess with greasing the O-rings ? I can appreciate checking them for lint/hair etc every time I open/close the case - but as routine maintenance would you apply grease to the O-rings once a month (assuming that the camera was used in salt water say every Saturday for 2 dives) ?

If you're talking about the housing gaskets (the red loopy "o-rings"), I store mine between dive trips in a zip-loc bag into which I've squeezed some of the o-ring lube that came with the housing. If you slide the gaskets around in the baggie, they get lubed each time they are put away. About once a year, I replace the baggie and lube.

I periodically lube the housing's button/dial o-rings with a drop of silicone grease as well, using a toothpick and placing a drop of the lube on the external shafts.

jlyle:
If you're talking about the housing gaskets (the red loopy "o-rings"), I store mine between dive trips in a zip-loc bag into which I've squeezed some of the o-ring lube that came with the housing. If you slide the gaskets around in the baggie, they get lubed each time they are put away. About once a year, I replace the baggie and lube.

I periodically lube the housing's button/dial o-rings with a drop of silicone grease as well, using a toothpick and placing a drop of the lube on the external shafts.

So - how frequent are those dive trips ? Weekly ? Would you go through that procedure everytime you used the camera if you used it every week ? Thanks

I lube my 0-rings before each diveing day as long as I am not over the water. IE: Before getting back in to the boat or after changing the memory stick. 128 meg. If you have larger sticks then before diving for the day.It can not hurt to lube each time as long as you do not leave gobs on the ring it self. The baggies Idea is a good one. This is the seal between the camera and the water, and can never be to careful. Do it at the same time you check for debris.

I am trying to figure out why your photos are green rather than blue. What do you have your white balance set at? It should be set to auto for flash pictures. Gilligan's suggestion for manual white balance is a great one, just make sure you don't manual white balance and then use your flash. Your photos will be hopelessly void of any blue.

Yes I have done that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom