Advice on what type of computer to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to diving and my partner is quite experienced (started tech diving recently).... I'd like to look at buying him a new dive computer and would love some advice on what would be a good option for around the $500-$700 mark? Thanks!

I wish I had realized before I bought my computer that DSS does not make those nifty bungee boots for every computer on the market; I would much prefer a bungee boot to a standard strap. Just something to consider as you narrow down your list.

I'm pretty new to diving and my partner is quite experienced (started tech diving recently).... I'd like to look at buying him a new dive computer and would love some advice on what would be a good option for around the $500-$700 mark? Thanks!

With your requirements of tech diving, which implies trimix that should narrow it down to just a few models.

Adam

I would suggest the Liquivision XEN (around US$500). It is NOT a dive computer but I think a real tech diver will appreciate owning one.
A computer designed for tech use would be out of your budget range. Please pardon me if I am offending you by saying that if you are relatively new to diving, you probably don't know what gear a tech diver needs. So the chance of buying the right gear (especially buying as a surprise present!) will not be that great. I suggest you discuss with your partner if he really needs a computer and if he does, what kind, what algorithm and what brand. Not all tech divers use a computer. Some just use a bottom timer like XEN I have mentioned in the beginning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom