Advice on Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

winenut

Reaction score
Hi All;
I have a chance for a vacation in Nov. and am thinking about Utila. Never been there
but I hear the diving is great. Any suggestions on where to stay? I'm a single
male with a fair amount of diving experience. Looking to dive alot but would also like
to explore and just relax. Looking for fun but on the mellow side. I will be there
a week. Thanks for the help. Winenut

If you want lots of diving, nice location, excellent staff, Deep Blue Resort is good. It's located away from the town, though easy enough to get to for an afternoon.

Laguna Beach resort is really nice as well. We followed the advice of alot of people on this board and stayed there in 2003. The staff is excellent and the diving is very good. The only complaint I had was that some of the sites are way better than others.

Both the resorts mentioned above are very nice and both are out of town. If you would like to sample a bit of the local culture and people you should check out Mango Inn Resort and the Utila DIve Centre. www.mango-inn.com has info on this.

I'll 2nd Mark on Deep Blue. Had a GREAT trip there a few weeks ago!

I just returned from my 2nd visit to Utila. It really depends on what kind of experience you prefer as to which place to recommend. I think if you prefer a package deal and want to do as much diving as possible, then Deep Blue, Laguna, Utila Lodge all offer nice packages.
But if you want to save a few $'s and have more flexibility in your dive schedule, there are many dive shops to choose from (my personal preference was BICD). If you are flexible, you can walk about to see the shops personally to figure out which dive shop you prefer when you arrive on the island. There are also lots of inexpensive options for accomodation right in town (which is my preference), depending on how much "luxury" you require... I stayed at Rubi's for USD$30/night, a/c & fan, private room with private bath, 2 double beds, hot water, ocean-front.... near everything. Go to AboutUtila.com for lots of good info.

We stayed at the Utila Lodge and had a great time. Some of the places we saw when we were there were a little "basic". No compliants whatsoever. Some of the places mentioned are a little isolated. Here yu can fall outa bed, grab a coffee and land in the boat. Night dives were awsome.

winenut:
Hi All;
I have a chance for a vacation in Nov. and am thinking about Utila. Never been there
but I hear the diving is great. Any suggestions on where to stay? I'm a single
male with a fair amount of diving experience. Looking to dive alot but would also like
to explore and just relax. Looking for fun but on the mellow side. I will be there
a week. Thanks for the help. Winenut
Hey Winenut,
You didn't give any indication of budget or type of accommodations you prefer.
Check out Hotels & Accommodations on www.AboutUtila.com which lists details of accommodations ranging from $2.00 per night for domitory style rooms through to luxury private house rentals at several $1,000's per week. The AboutUtila.com Scuba Diving pages will also give you an idea of the range of scuba diving possibilities, although I have yet to add a page for the Utila Aggressor liveaboard which is due to start operations out of Utila in September 2005.

For a single male - you'll enjoy the nightlife - plenty of opportunity to meet up with 18-30 year old back-packers travelling Central America, with many travelling as singles. Bar in the Bush on a Friday Night is the place to go for a real slice of island nightlife.

I hope this helps - Mark

Back
Top Bottom