Advice on St. Lucia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barry Goode

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm planning on diving St. Lucia from March 21-30. If anyone has been there, I'd appreciate advice on dive sites, dive ops, where to stay, what to do (besides diving), and general Do's & Don'ts.

Thanks!

Barry

I was there in 2000. We rented a villa near Soufriere just up the road from Anse Chastanet. Best diving is right around the Pitons. We used Scuba St. Lucia at the resort. Very high marks. Its mostly drift diving. What I remember most was the sea urchins, a Portugese Man-o-War Jellyfish, and the rubble strewn dive sites at the base of the Pitons (many huge rocks have fallen down the Pitons). Above the water you will find St. Lucia to be a very poor but friendly island. We didn't do a ton of exploring and stayed close to the resort and villa but never felt unsafe. Where are you staying?

Welcome to the board! I've never been there but I've always heard good things about an op called Dive St. Helens...or Diver St. Helens, something like that.

We stayed up near Rodney Bay, and dove with Eastern Caribbean Divers, out of Windjammer Resort. I would not recommend them.

As to Dive sites, there may not be a big choice for you. We certainly didn't have any say where the boat went. The Anse Chastenet reef was pretty good. Also the Anse Cochon bay was very nice. It was quite shallow, with a lot of small life.

Tom

PS-I think the dive op above is Dive Fair Helen, not Dive St Helens

If you search you will find many threads where I have had input about diving in St. Lucia and such. Just curious about the comment that "St. Lucia to be a very poor" island. Are you referring to the people? the scenery? or just in general. Poverty is also more prevalent depending on the place on the island you visit. Soufriere is not a fair judge of the "wealth" of the island. You would be surprised at the standard of life St. Lucians live further up north. However, we do have quite a bit of poverty, especially evident in the rural areas.

We went to St Lucia last September and had a great time diving. Even though the visibility was down because of Hurricane Dean having past by the week before, the diving was still excellent. We dove deep walls, wrecks and shallow reefs - seeing a big variety of sealife, corals and sponges.

We stayed north at Almond Smugglers Cove - the rooms were fine but the food left something to be desired. It was all-inclusive and quite empty at that time of the year, so the restaurants were not all open. We ate in Rodney Bay one evening and the food was great - a little pricey - but worth it.

We dove with Frogs Diving, in Rodney Bay, and covered everything from the Pitons to the Pinnacles (an underwater area between St Lucia and Martinique). Tommy took great care of us - we were allowed to dive how we wanted to - just back on the surface with 500#.

When we go back next time (and there will be a next time) - we will stay in Rodney Bay, at a smaller hotel, eat locally, and dive with Frogs.

BTW, the boat rides tend to be pretty long if you're based up North. Most of the better sites are South.

Stayed at Sandals Grande. Loved the resort and the dive operation. 3 dive sites are fresh in memory: Leslene M, Key Hole, and Superman's Flight.

Leslene M is a wreck at ~ 60-70 ft, nice growth, resident moray, visibility was around 50 ft.

Key Hole has 3 pinnacles bottoming out at ~80 ft. Good vis at ~100 ft.

Superman's Flight is a kick a$$ drift dive between 60 and 80 feet, watch the depth gauge, it's easy to go deeper. Boat trails the bubbles.

Take a jeep tour through the jungle, great time, beautiful island, great walk down to the water falls.

Shopping is so-so at the best.

My fiance and I are looking at going to the Sandals Grande for our Honeymoon. I would like her to get certified before we go. I cant wait to go on the trip. Snhrph which room did you stay in while you were there? Also how are the DMs with Sandals, and what special rules do they have for the dives? Thanks
Also how long do the boat trips average to get the the dive sites south side?

From the Windjammer, some trips were over an hour.

As to the Leslene M, the dive ops have different days reserved for each of them to dive it. figure out which day your dive op has if you want to dive it.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom