Advice on St. Lucia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan115 -
I recently came back from Sandals in St Lucia. I stayed at the La Toc Regency Golf Course and Spa. If you have any questions about the Sandals resorts, diving, the island of St Lucia, non-Sandals excursions, etc please let me know. If you like hiking, you really need to do the Gros Piton hike, it is amazing!

As far as your diving inquiries:

There is no dock at the resort I stayed at (not sure about the Grande), so we had a 10 minute drive into the town of Castries to pick up the boat.

The staff was very attentive. Keep in mind, this was my first trip post-certification so I do not have a basis of comparison. But as a new diver I felt comfortablable. I needed help adjusting weights (my training was in a fresh water quarry), sizing a BC, etc and they were very helpful. Their dive time was simple; they aim for 35-40 minute dives. Once the first diver hits 1000psi they are asked to go notify the DM. From there, the DM will slowly start to wrap up the trip within a few minutes and take the group to the safety stop. Also, before you go on any dives with Sandals, they make everyone do a "Discover SCUBA" dive. Someone in my group was a DM from Italy with 100's of dives in his logbook, but they required him to do the "Discover SCUBA" dive as well. The "DS" dive is a short dive, usually 30 minutes, and no deeper than 30'. This is their way of testing you to make sure you have the skills required to safely go on other dives during your stay, like the Piton Wall Dive. If you do ok on the "DS" dive you can then do any other dive during your stay at Sandals. The "DS" dive is also used for people who did the resort certification class that morning.

A few other notes:
A) They offer a 2 tank dive at 8am, or a 1 tank afternoon dive leaving the resort sometime between 11-1. They pick the daily dive site based on the talent & size of the group, the weather and water conditions, etc.
B) I was there during Xmas-NYE, but the dive groups were never larger than 10 SCUBA divers and another 10+ snorklers.
C) Sign up in advance, they do cap the amount of divers, so try to sign up at least 1 day in advance, though you can sign up the first day you arrive.
D) they are strict about the 24-hour rule. My flight was at 5:30pm on a Thursday, and they would not let me do a 1 tank dive on Wednesday which would have had me on the surface by 2pm on Wednesday.
E) I had my own mask/snorkel/fins. They do offer those if you need and do not bring your own. I can't comment on the quality because I did not use them. I used their regs, BC, etc and those all seemed in very solid working condition. No one in my group complained or had issues with the rental gear.'
F) I did not get a chance to do the Piton Wall Dive, but we did do a Dive in the South and it was roughly 20 minutes on the boat.

If you have any other questions feel free to post here or PM me.

Thanks for the info. What gear do they have with the rental gear? I am debating on bringing my own regs, bc, etc... but if they have decent gear I may just use theirs.

Hey Ryan,

I wished I paid more attention to the rental gear, but this was my first trip, so I was more worried about the actual dive, making sure the stuff was set up right, etc!

However, I could have sworn the regs were either Scubapro or Sherwood because I think I recall seeing a big S on the front of the reg. Not really sure the about the BC's though they were the typical jacket type that I used during my OW certification. The rental fins did not look comfortable, but I did bring my own. They were the enclosed type and they looked very short and stiff. If you want to find out more, call the resort direct (not the 800 #) and then ask for the watersports shack. Most of the people at the shack will know the type of gear available, they usually have 1-2 of the DMs hanging around to answer questions, train people, etc.

Ryan,

Sandals Grande was great!!! We had a blast. This was our third Sandals resort, and it did not disappoint.

We stayed at the room on level down from concierge. IMO concierge and honeymoon suites are nice but do not justify the premium. You spend most of the time outside anyway, unless you are on the honeymoon, but then even the shack will do!! :D

Scuba shop was good. They have there own dock at the Grande with 2 boats (at the time of my trip). There are 2-tank dives in the morning for certified divers, and 1 tank trip in the afternoon for resort divers. Get your fiance to complete the training here, then she can do referral dives there. you don't want to see her with a textbook on your honeymoon (unless she is reading Kama Sutra) :D

Boat trips to dive sites for the am dives were 30 to 40 minutes. No return to resort for surface intervals. Dive staff was very friendly and helpful (to a fault): I always take care of my own gear (both assembly and breaking it down). On one dive there was a new boat mate who took it upon himself to remove the weight pockets from my BC and left them empty on the bench. Well, when the boat picked up speed one of them was blown overboard (that kinda sucked since I did not have a replacement). :( Since then I always have a spare).

Can't comment on the rental gear since I always bring my own :D Bring yours since you own it - nothing like the comfort and convenience of the gear you are used to diving with.

Hope that helps.

what to do (besides diving), and general Do's & Don'ts.

Thanks!

Barry

Other things to do besides diving include:
- Cocoa Plantation (Fond Doux) located just south of Soufriere. There are other plantations - Morne Coubaril
- Piton Falls within the Jalousie plantation (they are warm water springs and absolutely lovely to just sit in and relax), also located just south of Soufriere
- Climb up Gros Piton (if you're feeling adventurous!)
- Walk-In Volcano and Sulphur springs - if you do do this, you'd be better off getting there at 4/5 in the morning as it will be cooler and if you go into the sulphur springs, make sure you have an old towel/swim wear.
- wind-surfing in Vieux Fort

HTH

Lottie :eek:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom