Advice on Sony P5 (filter and lighting)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPTM

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I've a Sony P5 with the Marine Pack and I'm very happy with it. Used the camera on several "blue water" dives and the results were great. Does the quality improves a lot with the filter VFMP5K? Any recommendations on lighting?

Regards

hello

Despite the fact that I've had a lot of problems with the P-5 (Sony is going to change it for the P-9) I had the chance to make some test with and without the filter. When you shoot in clear blue waters it definitely worth it to put the filter on.
In what concerns strobes, I don't have one because I use my DR HID - anyway except for night dives, the P5 flash seems to be enough.

Cheers

Sue

Hi Sue,

It's funny that we are in the same country, dive in similar sites and own the same type of camera! What problems did you have with your P5? Mine until now worked perfectly apart from the flash which broke on my first dive with the camera. However, as I don't use the flash in daylight UW pics it was not too bad. The worst part was that Sony assistance took almost two months to repair the camera under the warranty... and never replied to my request of a substitute camera.

I understand that you used the built in flash on night dives. Good performance?

Until now I had no problems with the Marine Pack. Recently I forgot that I had the camera inside my BC pocket and went down to a little bit more than 40 m and fortunately it didn't flood. But I do not intend to repeat the experience.

Take care

I love my P5 just the way it is, no filter, no external flash. You can make up for the filter by adjusting the colors in a photo editor. An external flash only extends your range a little bit. Not worth the expense and bulk. I'm very satisfied with the internal flash, which I force on underwater. My $.02.

Here's a link to some warm water pictures with the P5.

Gallery #1

Gallery #2

Originally posted by Cecil
I love my P5 just the way it is, no filter, no external flash. You can make up for the filter by adjusting the colors in a photo editor. An external flash only extends your range a little bit. Not worth the expense and bulk. I'm very satisfied with the internal flash, which I force on underwater. My $.02.

Here's a link to some warm water pictures with the P5.

Gallery #1

Gallery #2
I like my P5 too. I've gotten pretty good results in freshwater lakes here in MN with it. I don't have any external strobes or filters either. I just use color manipulation in my photo editing software to compensate for lost color. It works real well.

Great Pics, Cecil!

The P-5 I own was bought to replace the P-1 I've flooded in Mexico.
The problem started in the first time I've used the camera. It just didn't turn on. I took it 4 times to Sony Service and each time they said it was fixed, but it didn't. Finally, as I got very upset, they decided to change it for a new one. The fact is that the P-5 was replaced for the P-9, so they will have to get me a new Marine Park.
From the few times I was able to use the camera I've tried the filter and it surely improves the colors, mainly at daylight in very clear waters.
The internal flash works fine but it's not enough for night dives - as I said I use my Dive Rite HID lamp (I've decided to buy this one instead of the strobe for the camera)

Sue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom