Advice on putting on gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some good info here, my wife is also 5’2” like OP and it’s difficult for her to help me with my gear

Some good info here, my wife is also 5’2” like OP and it’s difficult for her to help me with my gear

Why should your wife have to help you by holding up your tank while you get into your BC? Do you have tables of some sort available at your dive sites? The back of your vehicle is next best option.

I am very small, 5’2, and I weigh 120 lbs.

My partner was at least a foot taller than me. We were both about the same weight

OMG, 6'2 and 120#? Not sure how he could help anyone :oops:

Have you considered putting your gear in the water?

When I go do work for the local waterski club, I do not want to risk hitting the fiberglass on the boat, so I toss the rig into the lake and then I toss it on over my head... It's super easy, just practice it a bit.

Why should your wife have to help you by holding up your tank while you get into your BC? Do you have tables of some sort available at your dive sites? The back of your vehicle is next best option.
Beach entry dives are the most common where we live, some places have tables to help but some don’t, and cars aren’t close to the shore. We have to haul the gear to the beach, set it up, then get in suits and help each other get BC’d on. We’re always trying to find an easier way, not so much an issue for me but for her it’s pretty heavy, and we cold water dive so there’s also weights, it all adds up.

Beach entry dives are the most common where we live, some places have tables to help but some don’t, and cars aren’t close to the shore. We have to haul the gear to the beach, set it up, then get in suits and help each other get BC’d on. We’re always trying to find an easier way, not so much an issue for me but for her it’s pretty heavy, and we cold water dive so there’s also weights, it all adds up.

Get all or some of the weight out of the BC onto a weight belt or harness. That may help.

Drag the BC to the water and gear up in the water (or is there too much surf?). I used to have similar problems when hauling gear to beaches and gearing up-- not to mention sand in the reg (used blankets, the whole mess). No more of that for me since at least 10 years ago. I geared up in the water, but the whole process was a hassle. Too bad you can't get close enough to gear up using
the car trunk, even if it means a longer walk to the water than you'd like. I also did that a number of times, but was still in my 50s.
Nevermore....

Drag the BC to the water and gear up in the water (or is there too much surf?). I used to have similar problems when hauling gear to beaches and gearing up-- not to mention sand in the reg (used blankets, the whole mess). No more of that for me since at least 10 years ago. I geared up in the water, but the whole process was a hassle. Too bad you can't get close enough to gear up using
the car trunk, even if it means a longer walk to the water than you'd like. I also did that a number of times, but was still in my 50s.
Nevermore....
The surf is to rough at one of the sights and the other has the table lol wish they were opposite, again it’s not so much an issue for me helping my wife but she has a hard time helping me. Even with weights out of the bc it’s just hard for her to hold it up so I can get my shoulders in.

The surf is to rough at one of the sights and the other has the table lol wish they were opposite, again it’s not so much an issue for me helping my wife but she has a hard time helping me. Even with weights out of the bc it’s just hard for her to hold it up so I can get my shoulders in.
Yes I can see that. We all learn how to do the buddy assisted suiting up (even putting fins on while holding onto the buddy, etc.). No matter how good a method you have, I found it to be a pain. I am lucky that I can gear up myself using the car. I learned how to don the BCD yourself easily while sitting when I took the rescue course (by hoisting the inflator hose over your head with right hand to the left side --if I explained that half right). But that doesn't help you if you have nowhere to sit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom