Advice on pst e7 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So my wife and I own al 80's and find them a bit heavy and she finds them large and heavy when shore diving, our favorite type of diving. I found a good deal on pst 80's ($199/free shipping) and am seriously considering buying a couple. I like the idea of a lighter and neg. tank meaning about 10-11 pounds less, combining weight from belt and tank compared to al 80. When carrying a tank a long way to the water, 10-11 pounds is a big deal in a hot dry suit. Any negatives about these other than getting a HP air fill or having less air if I don't get the HP air fill? I have never needed more air than an al 80 can deliver and never plan on making dives that require more air than that. We dive pretty conservatively. We are mostly shallow creature watchers. I know this tank will be great for my petite wife as she hates lugging the al 80's and has an awesome air cunsumption rate. Mine is pretty good but not as good as hers, however I do usually have about 900-1000psi at the end of most dives. I am only 5 ft 7 inches tall and like the idea of a lighter and smaller tank too. I'm just wondering if I have forgotten anything I may regret later.

And what about the whole din/yoke thing. We have scuba pro mk25/s600 regs and i believe they can handle the HP. I read that both could be used but I would still need an adaptor right? And does the HP really take a toll on regs?

Anyone have trouble getting HP fills? How much gas would an e7 80 have if they only filled it to 3000psi?

I know I have asked many questions here that I have read about after doing a search but now I just have more questions and find myself unsure of the answers I already have. Blah blah blah...THANKS in advance!

The E7-80 is a great little tank. My wife (5'2") dives them almost exclusively. She will use a E7-100 for deep wrecks (100'+).

Its light, stays negative, small, has a Din valve with a Yolk insert, so it works with any reg. Whats not to like? lol

3442 psi is not that hard to get. Maybe a few on-boat compressors may have issues, but any decent LDS can fill these.

Grab them, you will not be sorry.

I've dove with a E7-80 for the past year and its great, especially compared to a AL-80.

I would say you have the good covered. Now for the bad, well not that bad since I just bought another one from probably the same place you are considering 199.99/shipping incl.

1. Water collects behind the yolk insert if you rinse your tank without something attached to the valve. Just remember to blow it out before you get a fill. I usually remove it completely since I've had problems with the insert going missing and/or O-rings missing after getting it filled.

2. Even though almost all dive stores CAN fill to 3500, most do not unless you specifically tell them. I get 3000-3500 with the average around 3100! If I specifically ask for a "good" fill I usually get around 3400 but need to leave it so they can let the thing cool down and top off.

3. You get less of a strength training workout when you get your tanks filled.

4. Going on vacation and being forced to use a AL-80 pisses you off.

Great replies folks. As usual, this board rocks. I think we will get two 80's now and then if I decide I need more air later I can get a 100's for me and she will have her 80's. Having a wife/spouse that dives is VERY nice. The positive is she doesn't mind it when I want a new toy but that means she will want one too or we will have to go clothes shopping for the equal amount. Hee hee!

Scubadobadoo,
They are GREAT little tanks. A full 80 cf, if you make sure your LDS lets them cool down and tops them off.
The size is excellent for people of smaller stature and for females, especially if they're petit or short waisted.
I bought two for my wife and I've been using them until I can get my E8-119's to the pool to work out my weight/trim shift.
I really enjoy diving them as does she.

Back
Top Bottom