advice on pony bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As always when buying gear or adding to your setup try and look down the road as to where you plan on going, this will help reduce your pike of gear that you take the a flea market to sell to new unsuspecting divers :)

A pony as opposed to a stage bottle as some distinct disadvantages, if you mount it to your cylinder you must turn it on before you dive and you cannot reach the valve to shut it down if you have a problem or a freeflow.

A 40 cubic foot Al cylinder is the stage of choice for most dives, you can sling it and even hand it off to an out of air diver, this will provide you with pleanty of gas and as you progress it will never become a boat anchor.

Chris

hp100 = lp72 , al80 ~= lp66 The tanks that have similar internal volume would have the same tank factor.

Ah-ha! So you DO need to know the internal volume!!

Metric is easier IMO, you don't need to know LP this or HP that or which cylinders have the same internal volume> All the info is stamped right there on the neck.

Lol, Burna. All our info is stamped on the neck as well, it just takes a mathematical ability that extends beyond your ten fingers and toes to handle it.

It's okay, we understand. Australia is kind of a third world country, after all. :wink:

Peace,
Greg

imperial vs metric blah blah blah, whatever:wink:

Lol, Burna. All our info is stamped on the neck as well, it just takes a mathematical ability that extends beyond your ten fingers and toes to handle it.

It's okay, we understand. Australia is kind of a third world country, after all. :wink:

Peace,
Greg

Hmmm given the current rates of economic prosperity between our two countries, I know which one I would pick any day! :wink:

Also, In my mathematical college degree, the goal was simplicity :) Metric FTW!

Peace,
Greg

Compare:

Use complicated system all the time - each tank read two numbers and calculate
vs.
use simple system from the start - each tank read one number

I think I already addressed your point in my post, something about people mistaking doing loads of work for getting loads done.

Anyway, just using your fingers, you can count to 1023, (4095 in some more rural areas or by using palm direction as a counter as well) so any tank calculations can be done on your fingers (especially in rural areas, where such things as calculators are not available), it's just that people who use complicated methods when simpler methods are available make me wonder... :wink:

I suspect that some people are just frightened by the concept that one hour of work at the beginning saving 5 minutes each time down the road saves a lot of time in the long run. Guess it's proof of evolution - we still got our caveman reflexes of management and planning... (bird in hand worth two and all that - 6 Logical Fallacies That Cost You Money Every Day | Cracked.com)

I can do imperial, just cannot understand why it's still around. Hysterical reasons, I guess.

:popcorn:

Gerbs

Last edited:

Peace,
Greg

Hahaha! Ten fingers???

Don't you mean 15?? :idk:

Hahaha! Ten fingers???

Don't you mean 15?? :idk:

Lol, I give you more credit than that. You live in Australia, not Arkansas.

Back to the OT: I think the metric vs. imperial debate is kinda meaningless in that folks are generally born into one system or another and using that system is easiest for them because their exposure to the other is not as great.

But then again, I'm somewhat bilingual as in my job we measure distance in metric because our maps are ruled in metric, but only in the field. Otherwise we still use imperial measurements for everything else. I actually do like the metric system for it's simplicity, but converting over would require me to change my residency to a country that uses it and I can't do that for a while.

Peace,
Greg

Lol, I give you more credit than that. You live in Australia, not Arkansas.

Back to the OT: I think the metric vs. imperial debate is kinda meaningless in that folks are generally born into one system or another and using that system is easiest for them because their exposure to the other is not as great.

But then again, I'm somewhat bilingual as in my job we measure distance in metric because our maps are ruled in metric, but only in the field. Otherwise we still use imperial measurements for everything else. I actually do like the metric system for it's simplicity, but converting over would require me to change my residency to a country that uses it and I can't do that for a while.

Peace,
Greg

The engineers of the Hubbel telescope had a very extreme lesson in what happens when en you mix imperial and metric into your equations and designs:idk:

The engineers of the Hubbel telescope had a very extreme lesson in what happens when en you mix imperial and metric into your equations and designs:idk:

Mixing measurement system had nothing to do with the Hubble fiasco. The problem was an instrument in the lab was assembled wrong.

I think maybe you are thinking of a Mars lander issue which was traced to a software flaw. While the code flaw did have something to with mixing units, they real problem was they did not design proper test for the software and the stupid mistake was undetected. You can't trust this dam s/w engineers, I know cause I is one <sic>.:D

Back
Top Bottom