Advice on Philippines diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jklassy

Registered
Reaction score
I have a mileage ticket to Bangkok in March and am trying to decide where in the region to go diving. I've already done Similans and the Andaman Sea, could do that again, but would like to consider other options first. I am completely clueless about Philippines diving options and they seem considerable and confusing. Can anyone cut through the clutter and give me some advice?

Great diving in March - I love walls, colorful corals, and fish. Not so much for wrecks. Experienced diver (Thailand & Palau liveaboards, Yap, Cozumel, Curacao, Utila, etc. etc.). Would consider a liveaboard, but would enjoy some beach time and non-diving activities too. Female traveling alone, so I guess safety is a consideration too.

Thanks!

Puerto Galera will provide you with the most variety of diving in one location. Rec; tech;wreck;drift;deep;nature, almost anything you want.
My wife and I were there in 2005, we dove through Action Divers Dive Puerto Galera, Dive Philippines, Dive Action Divers we stayed at the Deep Blue Sea Inn. Rosco, at action divers can arrange accomodations if you need. Wall dive at Verde Is. also nature dive since Verde is a nature sanctuary.
My wife and I will be returning Feb. 2008 and diving Cebu, thru scubaworld.
You can't go wrong diving in the Philippines!:D:D

My niece traveled through the Philippine last year by herself, and had only 1 event she found ammusing, competing cabdrivers; one had spotted her first, but his cab was not up close, so she went to a cab that was close and trid to get in, but the first cabbie did not want the cab to leave with 'his' fare inside. she did leave and had a great time 6 weeks by herself, ( I was woried myself).
Live aboard?
Expeditionfleet Scuba Diving Liveaboards- Philippines, Palau and Chuuk

I think March is the start of the Tubbataha Reef liveaboard season.

Given the places you've been to already (and that's quite an impressive list), you might consider some of the Cebu area sites.

Thanks for the help. I was looking at the Explorer liveaboard. Can you tell me how the Cebu sites compare with the Tubbataha liveaboard? There is a transition trip on the Explorer that looks pretty interesting. It runs from March 8th to 16th, so I'd have some time before the liveaboard to explore elsewhere.

Is it relatively easy to get from Manila to Batangas (embarkation point) and then from Puerto Princesa (disembarkation) back to Manila?

Are there any 'must-do' non-diving activities in any of those areas?

Also, can anyone tell me how the diving compares to Thailand (Andaman Sea)?

Thanks for the help. I was looking at the Explorer liveaboard. Can you tell me how the Cebu sites compare with the Tubbataha liveaboard? There is a transition trip on the Explorer that looks pretty interesting. It runs from March 8th to 16th, so I'd have some time before the liveaboard to explore elsewhere.

Is it relatively easy to get from Manila to Batangas (embarkation point) and then from Puerto Princesa (disembarkation) back to Manila?

Are there any 'must-do' non-diving activities in any of those areas?
manila to batangas is pretty easy, 2 hour bus ride... then about 1 hour ferry crossing from batangas pier to puerto galera

if traveling around isn't an issue, and from what seems apparent here, do the visayas... cebu, bohol, dumaguete (apo island)...

Jag

i second Jag.

Visayas- Cebu-Bohol-Dumaguete- you'll get the best diving combo with these three.

Also, can anyone tell me how the diving compares to Thailand (Andaman Sea)?

OK, I'll bite having done a liveaboard to the Similans. But I haven't been to Tubbataha yet.

The diving on our Similian trip was pretty amazing. I think the only thing that could have made it better would have been a whale shark sighting. (Actually our boat was average, air con didn't work, and the food sucked - but the diving made up for all that...). Our trip started out in Din Haeng/ Min Haeng where we got a great show from a single manta. The variety of diving in the Similans was great from Elephant Rock to the beautiful corals of Japanese Garden/ East of Eden, and of course the grande dame of the Andamans, Richilieu Rock.

I would say the Philippines has almost all of that, but... not one dive location can offer all of that... If you are willing to do a little traveling, I think the Philippines has as much to offer as the Similans/ Andaman Sea. Well maybe everything except for leopard/zebra sharks (or at least I haven't seen one)...

For instance if you did some combination of Malapascua, Cabilao, Sogod Bay, Alona Beach/ Balicasag, & Dumaguete/ Apo Island (all roughly around the Cebu area), you could have mantas, whale sharks, thresher sharks, beautiful coral walls, barracudas, jacks, and oodles of odd macro stuff...

For instance if you did some combination of Malapascua, Cabilao, Sogod Bay, Alona Beach/ Balicasag, & Dumaguete/ Apo Island (all roughly around the Cebu area), you could have mantas, whale sharks, thresher sharks, beautiful coral walls, barracudas, jacks, and oodles of odd macro stuff...

Ok, now I'm starting to feel overwhelmed again. :D I obviously need some Philippine geography lessons! I'm going to check out the liveaboard. It does Apo reef, Cuyo island, and Tubbataha, but it may not be available. So, is there any particular dive shop you recommend? What about cheap/moderate places to stay?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom