Advice on PADI AOWC in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetCell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have over 30 dives, two on the Oriskany, some drift, some small wrecks (no penetration) and some cavern dives. I also have an SSI Nitrox cert, with about six Nitrox dives. I want to fly down to Mexico from Houston and come back with my PADI AOW cert. I'd like a no-nonsense shop that can do the job efficiently and then allow for a day or two of fun or advanced dives.

Any recommendations?

TIA

Hi. I did my OW cert. in Cabo San Lucas with Baja Dive it took 4 Days starting at 9am and done at 1pm.
We went right to the water the first day.I did the skills at the North wall it was also a fun dive because there was lots to see.The two open water Dives were at Pelican Rock and Neptunes Finger This was worth the cost of the cert more tropical sea life than I have ever seen.
I paid $400.00 this included all rental gear.
They have a nice big boat with a full hard top for lots of shade.Th Instructor was great spoke english like an American.
try this link Home

Hola from Cancun, check Manta Divers! Cancun! Cenote! Cozumel! Whale Sharks! - Home, call toll free and design your course, you know 2 dives are core dives from PADI deep and UW navigation, the other 3 dives you choose, we have a wreck here that we use as the deep dive 80ft.
Hope to see you soon

I'd highly recommend this fine gentleman:

Scuba Tony

I never took any lessons from him, but have watched him, and also dove with him, and I have to say that he is the most personable dive instructor I have ever met.

(I have no relationship with his business, and will make nada from the recommendation, by the way).

Any PADI shop will be able to complete your AOW in 2-3 days without any problems. 2 dives are mandatory: Deep and UW Navigation. The other 3 will depend largely on where you do them and what the local area is good for. Here in Playa del Carmen, the Drift and Peak Performance Buoyancy are my favorites and will help you a lot for future ocean and cavern diving. That said, Mexico is a HUGE country, you need to narrow down your vacation destination to a particular town or area and then we can help you a lot more with recommendations on dive shops.
Happy Bubbles!

Any PADI shop will be able to complete your AOW in 2-3 days without any problems. 2 dives are mandatory: Deep and UW Navigation. The other 3 will depend largely on where you do them and what the local area is good for. Here in Playa del Carmen, the Drift and Peak Performance Buoyancy are my favorites and will help you a lot for future ocean and cavern diving. That said, Mexico is a HUGE country, you need to narrow down your vacation destination to a particular town or area and then we can help you a lot more with recommendations on dive shops.
Happy Bubbles!

I am looking for "close to Houston"; i.e., any of the Mexican Gulf towns with good SCUBA and cheap flights.

I didn't realize this error until I saw all of the posts on the baja side ;-)

You can usually get good flight deals from Houston to Cozumel or Cancun.
Cozumel is truly incredible for diving and there are quite a few great dive ops there. I would recommend Aldora Divers, and not just because I used to work there, but because they are excellent. But you can do your homework and check out comments about many good companies in Cozumel on this board.
You can do your course while you dive. It's 5 dives you can do in just 2 days or more if you want to take your time. I also recommend you pick up the manual before you go, decide which dives you want (as Dive Pro said, navigation and deep are compulsory) then read and fill out the knowledge reviews before you go.
Less homework to do in paradise:)

You can usually get good flight deals from Houston to Cozumel or Cancun.
Cozumel is truly incredible for diving and there are quite a few great dive ops there. I would recommend Aldora Divers, and not just because I used to work there, but because they are excellent. But you can do your homework and check out comments about many good companies in Cozumel on this board.
You can do your course while you dive. It's 5 dives you can do in just 2 days or more if you want to take your time. I also recommend you pick up the manual before you go, decide which dives you want (as Dive Pro said, navigation and deep are compulsory) then read and fill out the knowledge reviews before you go.
Less homework to do in paradise:)

Great, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom