advice on new doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have no clue ... is there such a thing?

cool ... ok .. so .... can you order them on the internet?

H2Andy:
i have no clue ... is there such a thing?

Yes. The valves I bought from Abyssmal came with 4,000 psi discs installed for LP tanks and 5,000 psi discs to switch out for HP tanks. It makes me wonder if the tanks are all more or less the same and only the burst discs are different, depending on your preference.

Andy I don't know about all manufacturers but you can get Thermo burst discs from both TDL and DRE.

As to the "don't over pressurize LP tanks" comments--they've been filling LP tanks to 3600psi for a good while down in cave country. I don't hear of cave divers dying left and right from exploding tanks...so there really seems to be no issue. Remember--in cave country, your turn pressure is printed on the tank! :wink:

Arcaporale:
LP tanks marketed by scubapro which are rated to 2400 psi in North America can be found in europe of the same construction except for the valve threads. These are rated to 4000psi or 275 bar in europe. The DOT restrictions on tank pressures are very conservative in the United States for reasons beyond me. If you look at industrial gas tanks for welding ect. they are usually rated to 4000 to 5000 psi and are made with the same steel and almost the same wall thickness as scuba tanks. Also the wall thickness in LP and HP tanks are also very similar. So overfilling LP tanks to 3000-3500 may not be legal, but I wouldn't compare it strapping a bomb to your back. I've filled my 72's rated to 2250 to 3000 probably 100 times and they are about 40 years old, and I'm still here.

PS: I'm may be wrong but I've never heard of steel tanks that are valid VIP and Hydro exploding because of an overfill.

I am not disputing your success. But as a Dive shop owner, I cannot float the liability of overfilling past stated pressures. I'll stay on the side of caution.

I'm just a little surprised that you guys are discussing increasing the pressures by 30% and changing burst disks to achieve that purpose.

I have some pictures of exploded tanks that I could upload if you wish. (They're buried somewhere...) But just remember that when a tank blows, it's like a claymore going off. You can justify it any way you like, but if it happens on the boat, you will take out the better part of a 10ft radius. Is an extra 15 minutes of bottom time worth that? I don't care if it worked the first 9999 times. the 1 time it blows, you could take out a family. :shakehead

jeandiver:
Hmmmmm....Gee !!!
Look who just bought a new Nomad... :D

:D :D and I love it.

I was diving the Armadillo for a while, but since I'm a DIVE RITE dealer, I decided to give it a try. Although the buttplate is a little narrower than the armadillo, it still works well for me. I've always said that Buoyancy and trim with sidemount is cheating :wink:

The guys on doubles don't know what they're missing, specially when they're huffing up the stairs at Peacock after a long dive :(

I still like doubles on wrecks, and I get plenty of bottom time with twin 130's or even 120's.

Cheers:D

Mike

wow... lots of good stuff here

sidemount, huh...

H2Andy:
wow... lots of good stuff here

sidemount, huh...

If you want, the next time I'm in JAX, I can bring a NOMAD and let you give it a shot. I only ask that If you like it, buy it from me :wink: .

If you don't like it, well... at least we went diving. PM me if you're interested.

Cheers.:D

Mike

hey, you're on!

let me know when you're down here next

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom