Advice on Manatee Springs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, it's May 17, is it nice right now to dive Manatee Springs on Memorial Day, or is this a dumb decision. I'm wanting to take my g/f on a road trip on this weekend for some photo ops and was planning on a day here and a day at Ginnie Springs. Any advice???

The park (in fact almost any park) is likely to be busy, manatee doesnt attract quite as many divers as some other state parks, but it does have a cap i believe (possibly even x per day rather than x in at the same time) - so it might be wise to get there early. Ginnie will most likely be busy all day as well, just have to muscle past the tubers and other non-divers to get into the water. From what i have heard from people i know enquiring about diving over that weekend, many places are already booked up for camping etc, so likely to be quite busy above and in the water.

As for nice to dive, apart from the people, its going to be high 80's and getting humid, so dont spend too much time out of the water, the water is going to be around 72 pretty much the whole year, not sure if some areas might warm up some more from the sun though, but not much i would guess. Have you dove either of these places before? Many here have and can give you a rundown on what to expect, what to do/not to do (particularly regarding lights for non-cavers).

Manatee is a fine choice for a second day, mind you it will be very busy on weekends and possibly fill up, try to get there as early as possible.

Keep in mind you can dive Manatee and at least one more site in one day if you get on it early, I suggest you grab a copy of Ned DeLoach's book, you could dive Manatee, Troy and Royal in one day, seeing it all and spending less then one entrance fee to Ginnie.

FYI, unless cavern or cave cert. you can't carry lights in the State Parks.

Ben

Thanks for the replies! I wasn't planning on camping, but did just want to put a couple of dives in on each place. Do these places do fills? As well, do they do Nitrox fills as that's the only tanks I own, so I may have to rent if they dont do Nitrox fills.

The state parks dont, any with a good cave inside have shops nearby, Ginnie does have air fills (not O2 compatible air), but just down the road there is a place Cave Excursions that does nitrox - you dont need nitrox for Ginnie "OW", Manatee you might get a little more time in the hotel area (its up to about 75ft) but not the other pond, Troy is up to 80ft i think and Royal is also pretty shallow too. Not sure of the shops in that area, but i am sure there are plenty around there, others will know i am sure. I am sure there are a few in Branford, not sure about Chiefland.

Well I think that I will just consolidate my tour after much research this morning and I think I'm going to go with Birds Underwater for a day at Crystal River, then the next day drive up to Ginnie Springs. I'll only be in Florida for 2 and a half days, so I figure this should work out ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom