Advice on First Regular Purchase (new diver)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm up to eight dives and I just went with a computer and wetsuit over a reg. No regrets.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

A regulator is sexy. I'd want to buy that first, too! It's tough to pay for a wetsuit first if you don't know what you'll be wanting to do. Warm water? California cold water? REALLY cold water? I'd say, give in to the urge and get a regulator! They're fun to play with in the living room.

I'm going to take a flyer here and get flamed. But here goes. Since the OP said "best-cheapest", then hands down there's a great solution:
Go on EBay and bid on the prettiest Scubapro Mk10 and G250 you can find (not G250HP). I'll bet you can get a great set for under $150. THENNNNN...take them down to your local dive shop and ask them to service them. No matter what some EBayer dumped on you, a good dive shop can replace diaphragm, poppet, orifice, what have you for not much more money. $30 for each reg plus parts is my LDS' charge. You'll have a great regulator that will last another 20 years for less than $250. Parts are everywhere. And the Mk10/G250 combo beats a lot of other sets hands down.

Yeah, you can spend more. Yeah, you can buy new. But Mk10/G250 is sexy. Just choose a set with no scratches. Or buy a new G250 face plate from Annie on EBay for $20.

The hard part is worrying that you'll get a piece of junk. But even there you're OK. If your Mk10 has "IP creep" (ask your dive shop what that means), you have 14 days to send it back to the seller as "Not as described".

Then take the leftover money your parents were going to spend on you and you're halfway to your next toy.

A G250 HP is essentially S600 internals in a G250 case so there is nothing wrong with that regulator. I always find it interesting that people praise the S600 and its predecessor the G500 but pan the G250HP.

Also I am not sure the IP creep excuse would work as most regulators listed on eBay say they need to be serviced. Certainly a service would fix the creep so the regulator is as described.

I usually recommend used gear but not to a new diver who cannot evaluate it correctly. While I agree that a G250/MK10 is a great combo, I do not see many great examples that go for $150 or less. The second stages are usually beat up and Ann's covers look beat-up too.

For $250 he can purchase a new C200/MK11 from Leisurepro or purchase one of their used sets which is already rebuilt.

A G250 HP is essentially S600 internals in a G250 case so there is nothing wrong with that regulator. I always find it interesting that people praise the S600 and its predecessor the G500 but pan the G250HP.

I don't really like the S600 either, but the newer versions have the metal air barrel and metal orifice that the G250HP lacked.

I do agree that a used G250 is an excellent choice but hardly the best value. They're pretty popular. You could find a G200B, which is the same reg except no external adjustment, for much less, and maybe a D300 for less than either.

In a reasonable world, buying used would not be a problem because you could walk into a dive shop with a used reg and get a competent, reasonably priced rebuild without the common B.S. and insanely priced parts.

I read years ago that eBay is a very broad market but not a very deep one. The depth of the market depends on how popular an item is. G250s are very popular but it seems the word is out and G200Bs are also popular. A year ago they went for about $40 but now it seems they go for $60 or more. Same thing is happening with the BAs and 109s.

As I said, I will not recommend used gear to a newbie that cannot evaluate it. There are many deals floating around that makes purchasing used gear sub-optimal at the moment.

You are preaching to the choir Halo. Dive shops run on BS and ignorance.

Back
Top Bottom