Advice on fins for snorkel test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can't pass it with any of them why bother

+1

"Would love to help you dude...but I left my other fins at home!"
art.rescue1.coast.guard.jpg

Do the swims in the fins you dive in.

I would but I don't really have access to a pool prior to the test, so I just walk, run and bike to try to get in adequate shape.

Q: are you doing the 800yd snorkel swim in a pool?

If so, allow me to say...Ugh!

You're gonna lose so much time to slowing into the turns, stopping to change directions, accelerating back to speed that it's not even worth worrying about which fins.

Do it somewhere you can swim 400yds out and 400yds back.

Definately go with the lightweight split fins, to reduce fatigue!

I've seen people have problems with light/buoyant fins in OW on the swims if they are wearing any exposure protection...the fins plus neoprene boots, plus bouyant legs of wetsuit end up with your feet coming out of the water...and then you need to actually work harder to keep your feet/fins in the water where they can actually do you any good.

Not a problem with the Jets w/springs I used for my swim tests.

+1 for fins without booties. Also, I thought it was against standards to wear anything other than a swim suit. Although, I could be wrong if you are doing it in open water.

I'd go for full foot fins, make sure you eat your bananas and stretch before you start. No booties means less bouyancy, that is, if the fins are negative. I also noticed that having your arms in front with a bit of angle upwards drove my feet down. If you can, try out some combinations before you do your test.

+1 for fins without booties. Also, I thought it was against standards to wear anything other than a swim suit. Although, I could be wrong if you are doing it in open water.

I'd go for full foot fins, make sure you eat your bananas and stretch before you start. No booties means less bouyancy, that is, if the fins are negative. I also noticed that having your arms in front with a bit of angle upwards drove my feet down. If you can, try out some combinations before you do your test.

If memory serves, you are allowed to wear exposure protection but must be weighted to be neutrally buoyant.

To be honest, most people at or approaching the Pro level don't use full foot fins: they are "unitaskers" that don't allow you any flexibility in foot protection or strap configuration.

If memory serves, you are allowed to wear exposure protection but must be weighted to be neutrally buoyant.

To be honest, most people at or approaching the Pro level don't use full foot fins: they are "unitaskers" that don't allow you any flexibility in foot protection or strap configuration.

Perhaps you might consider typing this with "...most people I see at or approaching Pro level...." Certainly at the Pro level on Maui there are a significant number of full foot fins. My nearly zero to hero training at Ocean Divers in Key Largo included no shore diving and no cold water. Full foot probably would be fine for the vast majority of DM candidates, who are in warm water with beach shore entries (if any).

Perhaps you might consider typing this with "...most people I see at or approaching Pro level...." Certainly at the Pro level on Maui there are a significant number of full foot fins. My nearly zero to hero training at Ocean Divers in Key Largo included no shore diving and no cold water. Full foot probably would be fine for the vast majority of DM candidates, who are in warm water with beach shore entries (if any).

In your profile picture you appear to be wearing open heeled Quattros. Does that mean that you aren't a warm water Pro?

What is a local phenomenon there in Maui may not be typical for other parts of the world. Even when I lived on a boat in the Bahamas I used open heeled fins.:idk:

So, in the end I maintain that the person should use whatever fins work for them.

While you were at my profile page did you glance at my Dive Equipment? I have pretty much 2 different of everything, except masks which are all the same. The most often used is listed first. The shore entry for my profile pic dive is not a full foot entry, with a 100 cft, 40 cft pony, scooter and camera.

Currently, a pair of full foot Mares Superchannel fins is $60 with free shipping (LP & ST, lower 48). The only open heel fins that nearly match that fins performance are over $200, without booties. Retailers would love it if everyone bought high performance open heel fins.

More than one of my IDC instructors at Ocean Divers only had full foot fins. 4 dives a day, 5 day a week, wearing booties most of the day, in a tropical climate; Yuck! I have not used my open heels for nearly 2 years, but I will if I do that wreck from shore again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom