Advice on dry suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gjm

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I’m looking for some advice on getting a Dry suit. All of my diving experience so far has been in tropical or pretty warm waters. That being said I dive a 3mm farmer john and tend to get very cold after about 45 minutes. Most of my diving is either deep decompression, or long shallow dives.

I’m looking at getting a shell suit and I’m wondering what brands and models are good (price range is probably 1500 – 2000)

Is a custom/cave cut suit worth it (build is 5’11” 170 lbs)

Is the dry suit training worth it or is it best to DIY.

I’m going to be in San Diego in mid spring and I was wondering if any one could recommend a good shop for both purchase and training.(not many stores carry dry suits in hawaii)

Thanks for the help.

john

Hey John,

Aloha from Maui and welcome to the board. I started diving dry over here about 3 months ago and love it more all the time. Yes I do get a few strange looks and folks ask where I'm travelling from, but I'm comfortable. Most of my dives now are close to 90 minutes and in my 3mil full with hood and gloves (plus natural insulation) I would get quite cold. I considered the move to a 5 mil, but finally decided to go dry instead. I picked up a Bare Nex-Gen, and the only thing I dislike is having to get someone else zip it up or unzip it for me. Otherwise I've been thrilled with it. (about 20-25 dives on it so far)

I did not take a class, just asked around, kept the air in it down to a minimum and took about 3 dives to get fairly comfortable with it. Between dives 5-10 (don't remember exactly where) I did the backwall of Molokini and it was a great dive. I'm still figuring out some of the nuances of the suit, but it's not all that difficult if you are careful in your early dives.

If you are on Oahu, contact Onfloat here on the board as he dives dry (same suit) and if you're on Maui let me know. There are also some dry divers on the big island, I just don't know who they are (I ordered gear from the same place they did, and was told about them)

Have fun, Tim

gjm:
I’m looking at getting a shell suit and I’m wondering what brands and models are good (price range is probably 1500 – 2000)
Another good one for your conditions would be a DUI TLS 350. Thin, flexible, you vary its insulating ability via selection of undergarment. Dries very quickly.

gjm:
A custom fit is always worth the extra cost, unless by some miracle your body happens to match the dimensions of the off-the-rack cut exactly. A CAVE cut, in contrast, is not. Stay away from 'cave cuts', which are problematic.

gjm:
It isn't rocket science. If you have a friend who can show you the ropes, you'll likely do fine. OTOH, if no one you know in Hawaii dives dry, then a class may be usefull to shorten your learning curve.

gjm:
I’m going to be in San Diego in mid spring and I was wondering if any one could recommend a good shop for both purchase and training.(not many stores carry dry suits in hawaii)
Can't help you with a shop, but you should spend some time on their website. They also have a section for new suits that were ordered and returned - if one fits, you might get quite a bargain. See here:
http://www.dui-online.com/

and

http://www.dui-online.com/fr.htm

Best,

Doc

gjm:
I’m looking for some advice on getting a Dry suit. All of my diving experience so far has been in tropical or pretty warm waters. That being said I dive a 3mm farmer john and tend to get very cold after about 45 minutes. Most of my diving is either deep decompression, or long shallow dives.

Thanks for the help.

john

The usual suspects all make trilam suits. So do companies like Bare, Otter, Typhoon, Northern diver, DUI and a raft of others. Basically I'd say that there are no "bad" suits on teh market. They just have different features. The most important thing is to get one that fits well. Fit is very important in a trilam suit because they don't give or stretch at all.

Bare suits are quite common here and are good value for money. They have a lot of off the shelf sizes so you stand a good chance of finding one that fits you. Their ring system makes changing a blown wrist seal a 5 minute operation and they're ideal for attaching drygloves

DUI suits are about 4 times more expensive than everyone elses (at least where I live) but people that have them seem to like them, especially for the fit. In Holland A DUI undergarment is almost as expensive as an entry level Bare drysuit. Their shoes are an interesting feature. Their dryglove system doesn't use rings and look semi-permanently attached. If you want drygloves you'll have to take a good look at the inner wrist seal. It could be a b8tch to get on/off if you're not lucky.

Typhoon got a bad name when they made a vulcanized rubber suit that got the nick-name the "teabag" but they make good suits even if the bad reputation haunts them. Their tek suit has a nice self-donning system.

I think Otter is a British company too. Their technical suits are good and fitted with huge cargo pockets. They have a sort of "means business" look to them. I like them.

The Ndiver trilam suits also have a good reputation around here. I think they're good suits for the rec diver but they've gone for the fashion-look and the off-the-rack ones I've seen lack decent pockets.

There are literally dozens of companies that make drysuits. Maybe this list will help you get started gathering info.

One last point. Training, in some form, is necessary. You don't need a specialty but you need to get someone experienced in drysuit diving to show you the ropes.

R..

I would second the Bare suggestion. I am 6'3" 170 lbs, 46" chest, 33" waist 32" inseam and my Bare Trilam fits me like a glove. I am not sure that I totally like the ATR on the Bare but I haven't used the suit much so it might change.I would also suggest a self donning front entry. For $1400 with undies and all I was more than pleased. BTW, I bought mine through Dive Tank...good bunch of people.

Class, haven't done the actual PADI specialty class but will be doing the AOW part soon. I already have done several dives with the suit but I did have a good DB to help out. Keep just enough air in the suit to keep the squeeze off and you will be fine. After you are comfortable with the suit then play around.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look at the Bare once I get to San diego.

Kidspot,
if your are ever on oahu let me know and we can go diving. I was tryin to get into your dirf class back on kona but it fell through.

enjoy the dive

john

I like Viking drysuits, and I think training is useful but the certificate isn't a complete necessity. It can come in useful if you intend to rent them however.

So, if you don't have buddies diving dry as the others have said, get the training class scheduled. If you have buddies then dive with them after doing your homework. Check your LDS, many will give you the class with a drysuit purchase, mine did.

cummings66:
I like Viking drysuits, and I think training is useful but the certificate isn't a complete necessity. It can come in useful if you intend to rent them however.

So, if you don't have buddies diving dry as the others have said, get the training class scheduled. If you have buddies then dive with them after doing your homework. Check your LDS, many will give you the class with a drysuit purchase, mine did.

cummings brings up a good point about rentals. Do you have to take the specialty course or is this the AOW part that allows you to rent a dry suit?

not part of AOW - it's a specialty (at least with PADI)- Even though I have my own suit, if I were to try and rent one I may not be allowed to without the "c-card" then again it just depends on how closely they were to look. OTOH no one in my area rents dry suits...

Aloha, Tim

Not worth the $100 for the class to be able to rent. Anything above 55 degrees I can dive wet anyway, as long as the surface temp is decent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom