Advice on diving in Thailand -- both Ko Tao and Andaman side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning to arrive in Thailand in early September and have this rough itinerary:

-spend about 1 month in Koh Tao to do a divemaster course
-travel to the Perhentian Islands in Malaysia (arriving mid october) and dive there 10 days to 2 weeks
-travel to Mabul (off Sabah in Borneo) and dive Mabul and Sipadan for a couple of weeks
-travel back to Thailand and this time, head to the Andaman Sea side and dive for about 10-14 days

My questions about the Thailand part of the trip are these:

1)Anyone have recommendations on reputable, small diveshops in Koh Tao with small groups and uncrowded boats? I've got these on my short list:
1. New Way Diving
2. Scuba Junction
3. Dave Jones Locker
4. Black Tip Dive Resort

Accommodations recommendations are welcome as well: I prefer quiet, somewhat secluded, not near any nightlife or party scene. Rustic is fine, but I need a cabin thats sturdy/solid enough to keep out large spiders, lizards, snakes, rats, etc. so that I don't have a heart attack in the middle of the night. I'm freakishly scared of snakes (except in the sea) and spiders!

2) With respect to the Andaman side, I want to dive the best dive sites, but also do not want to be in a crowded, touristy location like Phucket or Phi Phi. That being said, I will be on a very low budget, so I may not have a choice.

Does anyone have any advice/info on best islands to dive from or on the southern Andaman islands like Ko Lipe?

I would like to do a liveaboard to the Similans or the Surin Islands and Richeliu Rock, but again, I'll be on a tight budget, so does anyone know of a low-budget (the lowest) liveaboard that is reputable and safe?

Finally, if I can't afford to do both a liveaboard to the Similan Islands and stay on an island like Phi Phi, Racha Yai or Noi, or Ko Lipe, and thus, have to choose only one place or one liveaboard, where is the best diving in the Andaman in terms of health and diversity of reef and likelihood of seeing the most sharks?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has any advice as to the Malaysia part of my trip, I'd love to read it. Thanks.

Miu

On the Andaman sea side stay in Khao Lak instead about 1 hour north of phuket airport. It is not as packed as phuket. And it is a way shorter trip to the similian island leaving from Khao Lak instead to phuket. From Khao Lak, you can actually take day trip to most of the similan islands. So the trips to the dive sites are cheaper. There is less people there so the boats are generally not as full. Hope this helped

So the trips to the dive sites are cheaper.
If you calculate 4 daytrips and a 4 days/4 nights liveaboard, you will see that there are cheap options for liveaboards that are much, much more attractive than daytrips. Check out e.g. this boat, excellent value for money, and with a price from 20,500 Baht including equipment rental and national park fees, plus diving at Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock, you'll be hard pressed to find equally affordable daytrips. Plus you make 14 dives this way.

There is less people there so the boats are generally not as full.
???

With regards to Koh Tao. Look into the Taa Toh dive resort in Chalok Baan Kow. It's quiet, set out by itself on a beautiful bay but easy striking distance to the main hub.
Cheap Live aboards: Both A-1 and Alladin out of Ranong are the cheapest Live aboards. I have been on both. A-1 has better facilities. Ranong is located a few hours north of Koh Lak near Burma (Myanmar).

liveaboard scuba diving similan thailand - tauchen duiken - padi dive courses - tauchkurse - duik cursus - tauchsafaris - Aladdin Dive Safari
http://www.a-one-diving.com/temp/index.php
Scuba diving courses, trips and tours in Koh Tao, Thailand. Taa Toh Lagoon Dive Resort.ht.

Miu, sounds like you're gearing up for a mammoth diving adventure.

There's a few handy guides that might assist you in your travels. Check out this Thailand diving guide for a general overview of what you're in for and loads of information on the best dive sites in Thailand. This day-trip guide and Thailand liveaboard guide will serve you well too.

For good measure, although you didn't ask for advice on this, here's a Sabah diving guide too.

Good luck on your adventure.

Hi....Looks like you have qute a trip planned....Ill try to give you some advise, Ive been teaching diving in South East Asia for 10 years so I have seen some of the place you are going to...

Koh Tao and Andaman Side....mmmmm.....well, I think Koh Tao is more a party Islands than a great dive spot, I think they have 2 good sites Chompon Pinnecal and Sail Finn Rock. It depands of what type you are, for me 2-3 days here was enough. Scuba Junction are a good dive shop...
The Andaman side hs some of the best dive sites in Asia, but its a little more expencive to dive here maybe 20%.....but you should for all in the world not miss out on a liveaboard trip to Similan Islands or a couple of weeks stay on Phi Phi Islands and dive the worldclass dive sites of Red and Purple Rock. If you need advise plese send me a mail....a good site to visit is Dive Direct ! !

In Malaysia the season runs from around April to October the other 6 months are closed for diving cause of the weather.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards
Soren

I wouldn't describe Tao as a 'party spot'...that honour definitely goes to Koh Phangan. Tao definitely focuses on diving - the existence of 45+ dive schools on a 4 mile long island is testament to that. There are, of course, some great beach bars here but they tend to be more laid back rather than 'clubby'.

Because of the strength of the dive industry on Tao, it is a great place to do the DM course - as you will have an unlimited opportunity to get involved in real diver training and a busy dive environment. There is a wealth of options for which dive school to complete your course with and, ultimately, it will come down to which school has the best chemistry and vibe for you. For that reason, it is my advice to come to the island and allow for a day or two, during which time you can walk around and talk to the individual schools and make your decision.

Thank you all for all the great info. I think I will definitely do a liveaboard to the Similans out of Ko Lak and will dive Hin Daeng and Hin Muang maybe from Koh Lanta as it seems to be the closest and cheapest place to dive those 2 sites from.

I am aware that ko tao's dive sites aren't as great as those on the Andaman side and that it has somewhat of a party atmosphere, but it is a lot cheaper than the other side and since I'm flying to Bangkok in September, I have to wait to November to dive the Andaman side anyway.

However, I am now thinking about doing a DM course in Malaysia instead because, although the diving there is a bit more expensive, I could get a much better deal in terms of number of dives and accomodation if I do a DM course there rather than doing a fun dive package.

Does anyone know anything (good or bad) about a budget dive resort called Billabong on Mabul? Its by far the cheapest and so thats where I'm thinking of doing the DM course if I don't do it in ko tao. The second least expensive place on Mabul seems to be Sipadan Mabul Resort. Does anyone have any info or experience with respect to that place?

On the Perehntians, I'm considering diving with Watercolours and staying on the bigger island (Besar) either at Watercolours own resort or at a place called Abdul's chalets. Any recommendations there?

A shop to take a look at in Kao Lak is Sea Dragon - I recently returned from a trip and we had a great time with them - Giant Manta Ray!!!!

They ran a very safe while laid back operation - dives were timed but always tended to be around an hour which I was happy with. They have a few different price options to choose from based on budget and requirements

Have a blast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom