Advice on dive trip to Indonesia/Kalimantan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bali is and under rated dive destination.

If you only think of Kuta, Nusa Dua... all the toursit spots, then I can understand your opinion.

The good diving is not in those areas.

They are in Tulamben, Menjangan, Pemutaran, Nusa Lembongan... all these small villages outside the toursit zone. The diving is great with a reasonable price for both economy and luxury type of diver. Bali is HUGE. Logistics are easy and it can save you bundle and extend your dive $$$ further.

If you really want to go back to nature, away from it all, then Pulau Weh in Aceh area.

Thanks for all the useful info and contacts.

I spent almost 2 months in Pulau Weh I enjoyed it so much. This was before the tsunami, have you been since?

So I guess you know Ton and Marjan from Lumba Lumba at Gapang. I have not been back since the tsunami.

Another place slightly similar is Pulau Poncan off Sumatra, the jump off point is Sibolga. The lodging is cheap, the diving is cheap, BUT the boat cost me a big $$$$$.

http://www.leonardygunawan.com/Showcase/SibolgaMarina-PONCAN/Tours.htm

I am not sure if it is still standing after the tsunami. When the tide got to high, the water got into parts of the resort. Poncan is not that great, but the outer island around Pulau Masala are OK. Not great like Weh, but it is really back to nature.

The family had fun. I liked the journey from land through all the country side and lake toba.

We stayed at the Murex Bangka cabins last June for 4 days. The difference between this and Gangga is huge. From what I understand, Gangga is a full-on resort/spa with all the amenities including pool, AC, restaurant, spa services, etc. with a price to match. Bangka on the other hand is very simple, cheap, and similar to all of the little places on Bunaken island itself as opposed to the resorts on the Manado side. It's on a pretty little beach, only has generator power from 5PM till 9AM, limited water, fresh supplies and ice are boated in daily, you get the picture.

We wanted to try out the diving in Bangka and while the diving was great, I think we would have rather stayed in Manado and made the long day trip up there once or twice as the place was a bit too budget for us. Sounds like it might be perfect for you though. Also, you should definitely check out the Pulisan Jungle Resort. It is on the mainland, across the channel from the Bangka cabins. We dove near their beach one day and had a great dive. Someone that I met on the trip who'd stayed at both places said the setup was similar, but Pulisan was a bit more organized and guest friendly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom