Advice on dive trip to Indonesia/Kalimantan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Obaby

Registered
Reaction score
We're planning a couple of months escape, diving in paradise, we just don't know where to go ... anyone got any recommendations?

I've been to Bunaken & Lembeh Straits before and had a great time, nice cheap accommodation I think I was paying less than $5 a night with meals included. Diving was great too. I've also heard of the Bangka, Siau & Sangihe islands - can anyone compare these to bunaken/lembeh straits? Is it worth the extra travelling to get there?

Have also considered Irian Jaya. Does anyone know if Papua Diving is the sole operator here? Are there any cheap accommodations around?

The Banda Islands also look pretty darn good - is it safe out there these days?

Lastly I've been reading the board on Kalimantan, not sure whether its worth going over here instead, seems a bit pricey and Sangalaki certainly has mixed reviews.

Seems like a lot of queries.

Can anyone help us out?

Hi H20babe,

a group of us (3 girls & 2 guys) :D are going up to Sangalaki from 6 to 11 Apr 06. You're welcome to join us. Here's a little write up about Sangalaki for your info. Email me at jjbek78@hotmail.com for the full details.

Where are we diving?:huh:

A group of islands in East Kalimantan, Indonesia, comprising of Sangalaki, Kakaban, Maratua & Derawan.

Sangalaki is a breeding ground for manta rays, and sightings are a daily occurrence. (Money back guarantee) It's also common to see eagle rays, sting rays, giant green turtles, leopard shark, cuttlefish, and all manor of the Indo-Pacific realm's dazzling array of tropical fish, hard and soft corals, and invertebrate life.

Sangalaki is also a prolific turtle breeding area. You will have the opportunity to see mating activity, nesting, egg laying, and baby hatchlings making their way back into the sea, completing the cylce of life. Anyone interested in wildlife will find this a truly unforgettable experience.

The nearby island of Kakaban contains a unique jellyfish lake. Similar to the one in Palau, it is home to millions of (non-stinging) jellyfish and a host of other exotic life, including some species found no where else in the world. The lake is teeming with at least 4 species of stingless jelly fish including one of an upside down species of Cassiopea. (possibly Cassiopea Xamachana).

When are we diving?

6 Apr 06 to 11 Apr 06 (6D5N package)

Where are we staying?

Derawan Dive Resort - www.derawan.com. It is situated in the middle of all the islands and is a good launching pad to go on day trips. The resort boasts of a fantastic house reef where you can find many macro critters. This means that we can do unlimited shore dives when we're not doing boat dives at the other islands.
How are we getting there?

6 Apr 06
0000hrs : Depart Singapore by minivan / bus to Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA)
0500hrs: Arrive at KLIA
0645hrs: Depart KLIA on Airasia flight AK982 to Balikpapan (BPN)
0930hrs: Arrive in BPN for transfer to Berau.
1100hrs: Depart BPN on Kalstar Air (domestic flight) to Berau
1210hrs: Arrive in Berau for van & speedboat transfer to resort
1410hrs: Arrive at Derawan Dive Resort
* 1510hrs: Arrive at Sangalaki Dive Lodge/ Nabucco Island Resort/ Maratua Paradise Resort
1630hrs: Dive 1 - Check out dive
1900hrs: Dinner

7 Apr - 10 Apr 06
3 boat dives per day* (voucher system) and unlimited self shore dives including early morning dive and sunset dive (finish 2100hrs) at Jetty point.

11-Apr-06
0430hrs: Depart Derawan via speedboat transfer to Berau
0700hrs: Depart Berau to BPN on Kalstar Air (transit 10 minutes in Samarinda)
0830hrs: Arrive in BPN & transfer to Airasia
0955hrs: Depart BPN on Airasia flight AK983 to KLIA
1235hrs: Arrive in KLIA for transfer by minivan to Singapore
1800hrs: Arrive in Singapore

Total: at least 17 dives

What is the cost?

S$2200 includes return air ticket from KL to Balikpapan on AirAsia, return air ticket from Balikpapan to Berau on Kalstar Air, all taxes and surchages, all land & sea transfers, 5D4N twin sharing accomodation at Derawan Dive Resort, 3 meals at resort, equipment (BC & Reg)

How to sign up?

Reply to this email jjbek78@hotmail.com or call my hp @ 91072987 by 26 Feb 06. Places are limited. First come first serve basis. Spread the word.

Thanks ScubaSalsa, not sure we can make this trip but hope you have a fantastic time. Let us know how it goes?

Bangka lies between and North of Bunaken and Lembeh.

It has various types of sites. Muck, wall, cave, slooping... so it has properties of both sites.

There are 3 resorts in Bangka. Gangga, Murex and BlueWave (Thalassa). I mainly stay at Gangga, but it costs more than the other 3 since it has swimming pool... etc.

In Kalimantan, you can try and dive with Losmen Danakan. The Losmen is run by Pak Kadek he used to work for Derawan and Sangalaki. So he knows the area very well.

If you stay Derawan or Maratua, it is going to costs a lot more.

If you do plan to go with Pak Kadek, provide ample notice else he may not be there. He has other business interest to attend to.

Bali?

Have you tried Bali??? I think it is great. Has a mixture of everything, including freezing cold water that requires 5mm suits.

Hi Davidlkh,
I've been checking out your suggestions, Gangga looks nice but does that $105-155pp/day include your diving? Be nice if we could afford it. How prices change, it used to be so cheap around Manado.
What's the best way of contacting Pak Kadek? How did you arrange to get there and can you get over to Sangalaki and dive there from Losmen Danakan?
Don't really fancy Bali.
Thanks for your suggestions.

For Derawan, Sangalaki and Maratua you can try and contact:

Pak (Mr) Seno
senomentik@indo.net.id
+62 542 735997

He does logistics arrangements for the dive resorts around there.

Pak Kadek
kadek112003@yahoo.com

I have not spoken to Kadek for quite awhile. Anyway, Pak Seno should be able to help you out with contacts and logistics.

Derawan has other Losmens. Losmen Ilham for example, but this has no tiny dive center.

Gangga is costly not sure if the price includes diving.

BlueWave is on Bangka, you have to contact Symon of Thalassa; maybe she can help you out. BlueWave is run by someone else but is sitting on Symon property.

There is also Pulisan Jungle Beach Resort
http://www.pulisanresort-sulawesi.com/

If I remember correctly this is also somehow connected to Symon.

Pulisan is near the Bangka area also but connected to the mainland. Both have nice white sand beaches, not sure which is better since I have never stayed with them or dived with those operators. Blue Wave is new, and the rumours say that the operations are still a bit shaky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom