Advice on disposal methods for COTs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogersea

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tongo Poiint Basdiot Moalboal Philippines
# of dives
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am looking for a couple of peices of information concerning disposal of COT carcasses. We have a major ongoing infestation where I live,in the Philippines. I am hoping that through your experience you can guide me to some information which describes the best disposal method.

Currently the majority of people who are performing collection, take the COTs while still alive and dump them approximately 4 km's offshore in a depth of 500-550M.

First question do you think this method is sound?

I recently removed a couple of sacks full(approx 200) from a 1200 Sqm area. I choose to remove them from the water dry them out and burn them. There must a better method.

Second question: Is there an alternative method such as using them as fertilizer(some quick formula) burning has turned into a very time intensive method as I have to dry them out and use a fuel source such as kerosene to ignite them.

Burying them is not a realistic option as we live in a very rocky area and there is not enough arable land and most areas that have it are under cultivation.

Cheers
Roger

PS: I am hoping to not ignite a debate on whether it is appropriate to remove COTs or not.

Back
Top Bottom