Advice on camera equipment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skidoomn

Registered
Reaction score
I know this topic is probably talked to death. But, what the he**. I recently came back from a cruise. I was able to dive in Cozumel. I used a Reefmaster sport diver camera, it was ok, but you all know the results. This was my very first saltwater dive as well as taking pictures at depth. I am looking for info on cameras. I would like digital. To buy something like a Bonica digital all in one or a camera and housing? I live in MN some can't dive in warm water often. Maybe once a year going south.

I am hoping to get a nice Digital SLR for land use in the next 6 mths to Yr. So, I hesitate to spend more on under water equip. So, I guess I need some good economic examples. Is the Bonica any good?

Thank You

I know it is a confusing thing getting started in UW photography. But here are some tips. Ask yourself the following:

How much can I afford? No use spending the mortgage on gear.
What do I want to do with the pictures? Do I want to publish or just show my family what I saw?
Will I be advancing in this or just be a casual user?

When you know the answer to these questions then you'll be ready. Try Underwater Photo -Tech www. uwphoto.com. Good luck...

Skidoomn:
I know this topic is probably talked to death. But, what the he**. I recently came back from a cruise. I was able to dive in Cozumel. I used a Reefmaster sport diver camera, it was ok, but you all know the results. This was my very first saltwater dive as well as taking pictures at depth. I am looking for info on cameras. I would like digital. To buy something like a Bonica digital all in one or a camera and housing? I live in MN some can't dive in warm water often. Maybe once a year going south.

I am hoping to get a nice Digital SLR for land use in the next 6 mths to Yr. So, I hesitate to spend more on under water equip. So, I guess I need some good economic examples. Is the Bonica any good?

Thank You

If you're going to use the camera underwater only a few times a year I still think going to a Canon A series or other suitable point and shoot with a housing is the way to go.

These little digital cameras do it all, are compact, fun to use (which means you do take it with you on the weekends & events) and give excellent results. Add a housing for around $150 and you are good to go.

I'll probably pick up yet another Canon A set while back in MN in Feb :wink:

Skidoomn:

Thank You

I tried to find out the specs on the Bronica (like who makes the dern camera). Bronica was purchased by Tamron, and there is NOTHING on their site about this camera. I did find out that it has a 37-110mm lens, and a flash that is worthless UW as the housing blocks it. It's definately NOT made by Bronica, I'm guessing maybe Ricoh.

IMO unless you can find someone who has reviewed this product, or used it, I'd go the OLY/Canon/Nikon + UW housing route. The specs on this camera are so slim that it is impossible to know important things like...well most everything. Shutter lag is a big factor however, or how about image sizes and options, write speeds, shooting modes, the list goes on.

Good Luck,
Ron

RonFrank:
I tried to find out the specs on the Bronica (like who makes the dern camera). Bronica was purchased by Tamron, and there is NOTHING on their site about this camera. I did find out that it has a 37-110mm lens, and a flash that is worthless UW as the housing blocks it. It's definately NOT made by Bronica, I'm guessing maybe Ricoh.

IMO unless you can find someone who has reviewed this product, or used it, I'd go the OLY/Canon/Nikon + UW housing route. The specs on this camera are so slim that it is impossible to know important things like...well most everything. Shutter lag is a big factor however, or how about image sizes and options, write speeds, shooting modes, the list goes on.

Good Luck,
Ron

Its B O N I C A not B R O N I C A as in med. format cameras. Bonica is trying to feed off the Bronica name. Bonica looks like a Reefmaster knock off.

Thanks for the comments. Has anyone used just a simple Kodak easyshare and a housing? I know somewhere I saw a housing for it.

Back
Top Bottom