Advice on argon regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to buy an argon regulator, and would like some advice on which one to get. I was originally looking at this one Argon Inflation Regulator - Dive Right in Scuba

Then I saw that the specs say it's only rated for use down to 50 degrees. That doesn't sound like a good rating for an argon system. Now I'm looking at this one Highland Compact DIN First Stage | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

So, what do you guys think? Am I crazy for being concerned about the temp rating on the Dive Rite reg? Is the Highland reg worth an extra $30? Is there a better argon reg option that I'm missing?

Funny that was a point of contention with me too. I hope to see someone who dives that cold or colder respond with what they use.

they can only rate it for that temp because it is an unsealed piston design. Don't use it above the water after it gets wet and you'll be fine. Regulators freeze because the rapid decompression of the gas is very cold, first stages used for breathing don't have enough time between breaths to come all the way back to ambient, so if you start breathing rapidly off of one, it will freeze, conveniently an inflation bottle doesn't get much use, and certainly not to the extent of a breathing regulator so for intermittent use it's fine. Most of the inflation bottle regs you see are of this design, and get used every day under the ice. If you're that concerned go to a sealed diaphragm, but it's not worth the money.

Okay, that makes sense about there not being a big risk of freezing due to being used far less than a reg for breathing. However, if I some how manage to do the near-impossible, and freeze it, what should I expect? Will I get no gas or too much gas?

You can use ANY sealed diaphragm pressure regulator first stage used in diving. I am using an Apeks DS4. It works like a dream in +2 Celcius water, and I have used it even in -1 Celcius (one degree below freezing) water. My reason for choosing DS4 was standardization. My breathing gas regulators are Apeks DST/DS4 so using the same for suit gas simplifies maintenance and provides me with spare parts. The DS4 is a bit big though.

An "argon first stage" would be smaller. The gas flow will be lower (and hence cooling will be less) and argon comes from an industrial source (100% dry) and not from a compressor. I don't think that internal ice formation will ever be a problem - unless the surrounding water gets in contact with the cooled internals and freezes. A sealed system would be a good choice.

---------- Post added March 4th, 2015 at 02:45 AM ----------

Now if you manage to get that industrial argon to cause enough ice in a sealed diaphragm suit gas system first stage, then I owe you a beer, and you can fly to Finland to collect your pint.

Last edited:
Argon also doesn't expand like backgas. Flow-by piston is more resistant to freezing compare to flow-through piston as well. So more support for the DRIS $49 version

Rest at ease, I have used that argon reg under the ice. It has a low IP and there isn't a ton of flow going through it so not much risk of freezing. The difference between the Dive Rite and Highland reg is a HP port. Realistically where argon bottles are mounted you wont be able to see the gauge on the dive anyway. Through experience I've learned I only use 1 cubic foot of gas in my suit on a typical dive (still less than 2 cu' on a cave dive). So using a tank checker (or a reg with an SPG) between dives if fine for me. I usually bring 2, 6 cu' bottles with me on a trip and find if I really wanted to I could get away with 1. solid choice great price and super easy to rebuild.

they can only rate it for that temp because it is an unsealed piston design. Don't use it above the water after it gets wet and you'll be fine. Regulators freeze because the rapid decompression of the gas is very cold, first stages used for breathing don't have enough time between breaths to come all the way back to ambient, so if you start breathing rapidly off of one, it will freeze, conveniently an inflation bottle doesn't get much use, and certainly not to the extent of a breathing regulator so for intermittent use it's fine. Most of the inflation bottle regs you see are of this design, and get used every day under the ice. If you're that concerned go to a sealed diaphragm, but it's not worth the money.
Hi tbone,
Thanks for the insight. I am also looking at regulators for argon. I don't mind the expense. Could you point me to an "argon regulator" with a sealed diaphragm design? The ones I have seen are all piston, for example

Use a standard regulator. I too use an Apeks DS4 which just works.

Great as it's the same as all my regs, it works well, can be rotated with other regulators.

Worth fitting an OPV (Over Pressure Valve) just in case the IP (intermediate pressure) rises as you ascend.

I also have a DiveRite (or whatever it may be) Drysuit Inflation Reg. This has had some over pressure issues in the past. It's good as it's small. I just replaced it with the DS4 and haven't gone back to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom