advice on 2nd hand bcd and regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbles!

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All

I'm relatively new to diving and am looking to buy my own regs and bcd to keep costs down as I need some serious practice on bouancy! Please help all advice welcome

bcd is easier to buy second hand because it just needs to hold air and fit you. a good back inflate like the ranger/knighthawk or bpw can be a good buy used at the right price. regs a lot of times will need servicing and unless if you do it yourself, that can add up quick between parts and labor. take a look at the atx40/ds4 package from fourth element as an alternative.

Watch some Alec Peirce "Scuba Tech Tips" on YouTube to get an idea of what is important and what are extras.

For BCD's, besides the bladder being able to hold air, make sure the purge valves work and the power inflator works. To test the power inflator, you'll need a tank, which likely you won't have. Hopefully a nearby Dive Shop will be accommodating. What you want to make sure is that the bladder doesn't inflate without you pressing the button the power inflator; that would be bad during a dive!

For regs, you can find new regs that are priced moderately, but you won't get all the fancy features. The videos above will tell you what's relevant.

Like any expensive kit purchase. Any damage wear n tear is proof of a poor owner wanting rid of it. K

Welcome to Scubaboard! It would be helpful to give us an idea of what kind of diving you plan to do (warm or cold water) and where you are located. I'm a fan of used gear, but there are plenty of arguments in favor of buying it new, especially for regulators.

I have a favorite regulator technician on EBAY that I buy from and who services my regs.

Typical cost of a recently serviced, used name brand regulator is about $50 and to service it is about $35 including parts and return shiping. If you want his info (or anyone else wants it) then pm me. He does a great job.

Lots of great deals on BCDs on Ebay from reputable sellers- always check feedback. You just need to decide if you want a jacket, rear inflate or even possibly backplate/wings.

I dive a Seaquest Balance which to me is the best of all worlds when it comes to BCDs and you can pick one up for around $200 including a BCD mounted safe second (octopus).

I paid 300 dollars fr new scuba pro regs - fab ! 50 dollars fr BCD an Northern Diver wetsuit 4mm fr 50 dollars , dont think you can get cheaper introductory dive gear fr that . K

Back
Top Bottom