Advice needed.... San Diego diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WldAnimal

Reaction score
I will be in San Diego next month and would like to get a day of diving in. Can someone suggest a good dive center for me to dive through?

Thanks in advance!

WldAnimal once bubbled...
I will be in San Diego next month and would like to get a day of diving in. Can someone suggest a good dive center for me to dive through?

Thanks in advance!

Check out GottaDive.com
this dive operation takes you to local dives in San Diego. the boats fill quickly - so reserve in advance. also to let you know the boats are cattle boats and when its a full boat 16-17 people the comfort level is uncomfortable. they do rush you in and out of the water. they usually have 2 trips on each boat- they need to get the boat back to dock to pick up the second trip in the afternoon.
619-523-9282
check out their website.

Also there is the Hydrodiver - talk to Bill I highly recommend this operation. Its a 6-pack boat. 6 divers max. lunch and snacks. flexible-usually operates only during the weekend right now. It just changed owners, excellent operation- the only draw back is this is a slow boat so expect to make a 1/2- full day. It does not go to the Coronado Islands. This boat operation is well worth it. you dont get rushed. the operator will ask you what you would like to see as long as the weather permits the site. It does not have scheduled sites like the other dive boats operate.
800-493-7634
www.hydrodiver.com

then theres Blue Escape
619-223-3483
Also a good operation as long its not a full boat. more comfortable than Dive Connections boat

have a good dive while youre in San Diego

WldAnimal once bubbled...

Thanks in advance!

The best dive shop is Doug Williams and the Diving Locker.
http://www.divinglocker.com

The best boat is a toss-up. The Lois Ann, Gottadive, and Hydrodiver are all good. If you have the chance, dive the Hogan, a better wreck than the Yukon IMO.

deepstops once bubbled...

The best dive shop is Doug Williams and the Diving Locker.
http://www.divinglocker.com

The best boat is a toss-up. The Lois Ann, Gottadive, and Hydrodiver are all good. If you have the chance, dive the Hogan, a better wreck than the Yukon IMO.

The Hogan isn't a regular destination for most of the boats running out of Mission Bay because of it's distance and it's somewhat limited appeal. It's also right on the edge of recreational diving at 130'. If you really want to dive this wreck (it was intentionally sunk in 1945 as a taget for bombing practice), you're probably best off contacting one of the clubs that dive it (SDUE comes to mind right away, although I'm sure some of the other clubs dive it as well) and seeing if a charter is in the works. For SDUE, Marc Hall is the best person to get in touch with.

If you're not into wrecks the best single day trip, in my opinion, is to the Coronados Islands. The visibility is generally better than most sites closer to shore and the diving a little more interesting. The downside is the 90 minute ride out and back, but personally I think it's worth it.

The Lois Ann is the only boat in San Diego with on-board Nitrox. Blue Escape/Explorer mix nitrox at their shop and will have it on board for you if you want. I'm not sure about the DCI group (no experience asking them for nitrox).

Alan

A year ago I dove Wreck Alley. Pretty much any of the Dive operators in the Mission Bay area can get you out there on a 2-3 tank boat dive (We used Blue Escape)

We dove the Yukon (Canadian Destroyer-Only been down for a couple of years now) and the Ruby "E" (Smaller boat with a lot more growth-it's been down for a lot longer).

They took us on a "Kelp" dive which was pretty sad, (save your kelp dives for the channel Islands on a future trip). We had poor vis and some pretty serious current on the Yukon, I hear it is pretty much hit and miss. Have fun!

A good place to start would be at Dive Connection's website at www.gottadive.com. They have their whole 2-3 months schedule on the internet and also have the ability to book your spot online.

If you like diving wrecks, Yukon will be great. It starts off around 60' and goes down to 100'. It's on its portside, so it's somewhat disorienting when penatrating or looking from close distance.

Kelp is also a good dive. It feels like swimming through a forest. I has a large amount of marine life and is also a good place to hunt (to you all enviromentalist, plug your ears).

Coronado Islands are one of the best. you get great visibilty on most days. However, this place is cold. Coronado Island is like doing a wall dive and a naturalist dive at the same time because of the island's wall that steeps down. on a good day, you'll find a large amount of seals there wait for you to jump in and play.

If you wish not to spend great amount of money or wishes to dive from shore, La Jolla is a great place.

La Jolla Shores is mainly devoted to divers who are new or divers trying to orient themself with new equipments. You'll find many new divers diving this spot over and over to gain experience due to its easiness. classes are held here as well. most of the time, you'll see a large amount of sand...and nothing but sand. sometimes, you'll a huge bat ray that will swim along with you...or away...

La Jolla shores is just up the hill a bit south from the shores. There are a lot of marine life here that you can see. Visibility will depend on the depth you're at. pretty much, everything depends on the time of the day.

A real good dive store to deal with is San Diego Divers Supply. They're affiliated with Ocean Enterprises (biggest dive store in san diego...and likely to be the biggest in the world) but the prices are less. they're very helpful, thus me going back there time after time. they may give you more advice as you ask them more specifically.

more information about san diego diving is located on www.divebums.com, as stated above.

i hope you enjoy your time in san diego and hope that you'll come back again and share your experience with other divers you meet up with in your area!

Hope my message helped.

One other thing. if you wish to go on lobster hunting here in california, the season opens up september 27th. and also, on the 27th, you don't need a fishing license because california made that one particular day a free fishing day.

so yea...eat up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom