Advice needed on shipping tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisH

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys,

I am moving back to Vancouver after a year away in Toronto. My poor car's shocks did NOT like hauling my two steel 130s out to Toronto and won't survive a trip back. Which leaves me with needing to ship the damn heavy things.

So...any idea what the best and least expensive way to ship these heavy buggers is? Will I have to remove the valves?

Any thoughts, insights or ideas are most welcome.

Hey guys,

I am moving back to Vancouver after a year away in Toronto. My poor car's shocks did NOT like hauling my two steel 130s out to Toronto and won't survive a trip back. Which leaves me with needing to ship the damn heavy things.

So...any idea what the best and least expensive way to ship these heavy buggers is? Will I have to remove the valves?

Any thoughts, insights or ideas are most welcome.

"Heavy buggers"? Together they weigh less than the average human male. Are you saying that your vehicle can't handle the weight of another person in it?

If your car can't handle 2 130's then this isn't a tank problem, it's a vehicle problem.

Canada post, by ground is probably your best bet. You'll need to remove the valves, wrap those in bubble tape. You might be able to get some plugs from a dive shop there. Royse might know more.

Make sure you get it insured.

Some how I doubt his car can handle him, his gf, two 130s, and the rest of his stuff nadwidny.

Compare CP with Greyhound. I don't know which is cheaper but that is another option. I agree that removing the valves and covering the holes is a good idea, even if it isn't legally needed. It will reduced the shipping container size by a few inches and might stop some nervous clerk from calling in the bomb squad.
Welcome back to the left coast btw :D

Thanks Dale, Bradner and Vince...and even you too, Nadwidny :)

It's as Vince says, my 10 year old Hyundai has to move me, my partner, and my apartment in addition to the tanks. The tanks are the very heavy straw that broke my suspension's back.

Man, I can't wait to get diving again.

I shipped my steel 80 from Key West to North Carolina using the US Postal Service without any problems. You will have to remove the valve. Wrap the valve in bubble wrap and secure with packing tape. Use a sturdy box and enough packing material so it won't shift. You may need a visual inspection before using it again.

Like other have said, sending it by ground transportation may be your cheapest solution.

Your poor tanks!! How horrible and neglectful of you to drag them to that terrible place in the east. Glad to hear that you've seen the err of your ways and are coming back!!! Have a good trip!

Dennis, let us know when you get back. We have a good thing going here these days and had 8 from the group out at Porteau today. I think 8 even came back (after the first dive anyways).

Back
Top Bottom