Advice Needed on Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Denzel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey!

I’m new to diving, and just purchased this lot of equipment from someone who inherited it and knows nothing of scuba. I paid $200 for the lot. They all look to be in good shape, and from my understanding have only been used in the Great Lakes. All of the first stage regulators are DIN. Below is a full list:

Regulators:
——————
Scuba Pro R190 (2nd Stage Only)
Scuba Pro R295 + MK2 1st Stage
Scuba Pro D400 (2nd Stage Only)
Scuba Pro G250V + MK25 1st Stage
Scuba Pro S600 + MK25 1st Stage
Apeks XTX50 + 1st Stage

Computers:
——————
Dive Rite NiTek Duo
Dive Rite NiTek X

Misc:
———
Dive Rite Wrist Slate
Tusa Imprex Mini Knife Point Tip
Vega OMS Backup Light
Underwater Kinetics Mini Q40 Backup Light
DUI Weight Belt
OMS Backplate

Looking for general advice on what’s worth having serviced by a dive shop, what equipment out of what I listed you feel would be good for a beginner, and what you would do with this equipment. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5405-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_5405-compressed.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5399-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_5399-compressed.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5398-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_5398-compressed.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5397-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_5397-compressed.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5393-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_5393-compressed.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 32
Really nice collection of regs that's worth several times what you paid for the whole thing. Once the Scubapro gurus here tell you which ones to keep, you can probably barter the rest for whatever else you need.

Unlike regs, lights and computers have really advanced in the last decade or two. The computers aren't worth much and you'd be better off buying a new bottom of the line Nitrox computer for around $120 instead of relying on one of them. The lights are suitable only for storing dead batteries in your car. They are very early LED lights that are less bright than your phone light. $80 will get you something far brighter and longer lasting with rechargeable batteries.

If "DUI weight belt" means their weight harness with suspenders, you've got a nice piece of equipment to sell or use if you have to carry a lot of weight.

Finally, is the OMS backplate just a backplate or does it have a wing and harness attached to it?

YOU DID VERY WELL!!!!!

I have too much gear, but am actually envious of your "haul"...

what equipment out of what I listed you feel would be good for a beginner
There isn't really "beginner gear", just levels of quality, and you have obtained quality stuff. It can be used for various levels of diving. You can grow with it.

Enjoy!

good haul, you've got enough regs to put together a doubles set, a single tank set, and have a spare for a deco reg.

All of that is worth getting serviced. By a reputable shop.
Not all are. Contact Captain Tracy here on the board for recommendations on servicing.
He's in Michigan and won't steer you wrong. I would trust his recommendations in a heartbeat.
Know him personally, bought tanks from him, and sold him service kits.
He also has the only dive boat on the Great Lakes with an elevator!

All your regs look in top condition, and not requiring a service at all
Someone knowledgable to give them a health check is all you need
Learn how to screw the hoses and with a tank you can do it yourself

When you have two reg sets, you could take them, to the dive shop
ONLY FOR QUICK INSPECTION
and say for a friend and you don't have authority to leave reg there

Really nice collection of regs that's worth several times what you paid for the whole thing. Once the Scubapro gurus here tell you which ones to keep, you can probably barter the rest for whatever else you need.

Unlike regs, lights and computers have really advanced in the last decade or two. The computers aren't worth much and you'd be better off buying a new bottom of the line Nitrox computer for around $120 instead of relying on one of them. The lights are suitable only for storing dead batteries in your car. They are very early LED lights that are less bright than your phone light. $80 will get you something far brighter and longer lasting with rechargeable batteries.

If "DUI weight belt" means their weight harness with suspenders, you've got a nice piece of equipment to sell or use if you have to carry a lot of weight.

Finally, is the OMS backplate just a backplate or does it have a wing and harness attached to it?
image.jpg

Just the backplate, but it does have a crotch harness. This may seem like a silly question, but can a wing be added?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom