Advice needed for leaking Oly e620 case - replace or repair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brookieman10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for advice on a leaky Oly e620 4/3 camera set up.
My Oly PT-e06 case has leaked 3 times from unknown spots. 2 years ago, I sent it back to the dealer who tested it and could not replicate it. Recently, I dove with it for a week and had no problem. The next week it leaked during testing it in the rinse tank allowing a few drops in. I opened and checked the o-rings which looked fine. But it leaked a little a 2nd time in the rinse tank. I did notice a few bubbles from the zoom gear knob but it may have been trapped air. I stopped diving the camera after the problems in the rinse tank.
Once home, I re-cleaned everything and tested it now finding a very small slow stream of bubbles coming from the port/housing junction. I re-cleaned the port o-ring and threads and the bubbles stopped. In fact, I can pull the the port o-ring and and just thread the port on and there is no bubbles or leaks. ( I know that without the o-ring this would be catastrophic at any depth). At home I've tested the case with camera in it and could not get bubbles from the zoom knob. My testing is only dunking it in a laundry tub so the real problem is where?

I am meticulous about o-rings. The camera only leaks with the wide angle lens and the Athena port. I did replace the Athena port o-ring just prior to the holiday.

What are my options?
-the dealer is not interested in attempting to fix this obsolete case
-olympus usa will look at it but my ports are Athena so they may not want to guarantee repairs
-sell and start again. I can get ~$650 for the camera and lens. No one wants the housing and ports
-try and get another Oly Pt-e06 case and hope its not the ports that are the problem
-dive it until I lose the camera and then start again.

I understand there are adapters that would allow my 4/3 lens & ports to mount micro4/3 Oly camera and u/w case but I think this could just complicate the problems. If I was to move on what camera would be right for me? I travel to dive so size is very important. I've used to shoot a p/s Canon and prefer the DSLR. My wife shoots Nikon topside.

Ideas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom