Advice needed - becoming an instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clan2008

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I am a qualified PADI DM but qualified about 11 years ago and never actually worked as a DM and only done holiday recreational diving since...my last time was about 4 years ago.

I’ve decided to quit my job later this year and my plan is to move abroad...thinking of Caribbean/Central America...where I plan to eventually become an instructor after getting my knowledge and skills back up to where they should be as a DM.

As I’ve been out of the diving loop for a numbers of years I now have no idea how to go about planning my career change.

My main questions at the moment are:

- should I stick with PADI to do my instructors course or go with another organisation?

- should I choose a dive school to do my training/qualification with prior to arriving wherever I decide to go or am I better to arrive where I plan to train/work and go by word of mouth (I know that the dive centres with the flashiest and most impressive websites are not always the best centres to work for)

- should I do my first aid course and medical before I leave the UK or wait until I arrive at my chosen destination

- any recommendations on where is best to work in the Caribbean/Central America?? I’ve learnt a very small amount of Spanish and would love to go somewhere where I can practice and improve this.

- I currently own no diving equipment and plan to get the heavy items wherever I end up going to but is there anything I should consider buying in the UK before leaving?

- any other hints and tips about anything else you think is important that I should consider would also be very much appreciated!!

Many thanks
Nicky

Hello,

I am a qualified PADI DM but qualified about 11 years ago and never actually worked as a DM and only done holiday recreational diving since...my last time was about 4 years ago.

I’ve decided to quit my job later this year and my plan is to move abroad...thinking of Caribbean/Central America...where I plan to eventually become an instructor after getting my knowledge and skills back up to where they should be as a DM.

As I’ve been out of the diving loop for a numbers of years I now have no idea how to go about planning my career change.

My main questions at the moment are:

- should I stick with PADI to do my instructors course or go with another organisation?

- should I choose a dive school to do my training/qualification with prior to arriving wherever I decide to go or am I better to arrive where I plan to train/work and go by word of mouth (I know that the dive centres with the flashiest and most impressive websites are not always the best centres to work for)

- should I do my first aid course and medical before I leave the UK or wait until I arrive at my chosen destination

- any recommendations on where is best to work in the Caribbean/Central America?? I’ve learnt a very small amount of Spanish and would love to go somewhere where I can practice and improve this.

- I currently own no diving equipment and plan to get the heavy items wherever I end up going to but is there anything I should consider buying in the UK before leaving?

- any other hints and tips about anything else you think is important that I should consider would also be very much appreciated!!

Many thanks
Nicky
Did you maintain the divemaster rating by paying dues every year ? liabillity Insurance? If not , you may need to do divemaster over . Is your cpr/first aid certification expired? need to renew every 2 years. As to what agency, PADI has the largest presence in the carib, so chance of actually finding a job is with that agency certification. Do you have outboard engine or diesel engine experience? Sales? computer skills? I am surprised that as a divemaster you do not own your own regulator, bcd, computer and exposure suits. Get it and go diving as you have not been in the water in as you write 4 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom