Advice Needed About A Compessor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Realdiver7, your ad lists Grade E air and indicates that it's factory approved to direct-fill Nitrox tanks. Do you blend Nitrox? Can your compressor model be adapted for use with O2 cleaned tanks (i.e., Oxygen Compatible Air - "OCA")? By the way, I'm interested in your compressor. Sorry for the newbie questions as I'm just starting off in my research.

crpntr133, what make/model do you have?

gxsr_sarge...Yep, I blend Nitrox through the stick that Oxyhacker's Companion shows how to build. The Alkin is factory-approved to run up to 40% directly through the compressor to fill cylinders. You would have to use some sort of booster to fill cylinders to 100% O2 (if that's what you're asking). You cannot and should not run 100% O2 through most compressors.

Feel free to contact me for other details on the sale of this compressor. I have had quite a number of PMs and conversations.

Thanks!

gxsr_sarge...Yep, I blend Nitrox through the stick that Oxyhacker's Companion shows how to build. The Alkin is factory-approved to run up to 40% directly through the compressor to fill cylinders. You would have to use some sort of booster to fill cylinders to 100% O2 (if that's what you're asking). You cannot and should not run 100% O2 through most compressors.

Thanks for the additional info. I suppose I could have read the rest of your ad and learned that for myself. I have a copy of the Oxyhacker's Companion and will look up the Nitrox stick deal. I plan on mixing only up to 36% Nitrox using this system - mostly 32% as I'm a GUE diver and that's "our blend". O2 and other mixed gases (Trimix) will be left to the Tech LDS (at least for now).

I'll send you a PM with any other questions soon.

Thanks again

Also, Dry Diver, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. It's just a real coincidence that you posted it right when I was getting ready to list the same question. :D

Hey dont worry about it. These are all questions that I did not know to ask. Feel free to hi-jack away. :D

Thank you to everyone who has added as well.

Realdiver7, your ad lists Grade E air and indicates that it's factory approved to direct-fill Nitrox tanks. Do you blend Nitrox? Can your compressor model be adapted for use with O2 cleaned tanks (i.e., Oxygen Compatible Air - "OCA")? By the way, I'm interested in your compressor. Sorry for the newbie questions as I'm just starting off in my research.

crpntr133, what make/model do you have?

I bought a Bauer Utilus 10. Nice little compressor for home use. I really wanted something a bit bigger CFM but I'm not complaining.

As everyone has said before owning a compressor is mostly about convenience. However, if you dive nitrox and even more so for trimix you will quickly recoup the costs.

This is my setup:

I paid $500 for the compressor. With shipping, the stick, wiring, and all of the other startup stuff like new filter and an oil flush I'm in less than a grand. My annual maintenance costs are less than $100.

I am in the middle of a valve rebuild on the third stage and this will cost about $100.

Anyway, I am happy. I get nitrox and trimix when ever I want and I will pay it off pretty quick.

If you can afford it I say go for it. You won't regret the purchase.

Hunter

Where in the hell did you find that Mako/Bauer for $500!?!

As everyone has said before owning a compressor is mostly about convenience. However, if you dive nitrox and even more so for trimix you will quickly recoup the costs.

This is my setup:

I paid $500 for the compressor. With shipping, the stick, wiring, and all of the other startup stuff like new filter and an oil flush I'm in less than a grand. My annual maintenance costs are less than $100.

I am in the middle of a valve rebuild on the third stage and this will cost about $100.

Anyway, I am happy. I get nitrox and trimix when ever I want and I will pay it off pretty quick.

If you can afford it I say go for it. You won't regret the purchase.

Hunter

Dry Diver

I'm not able to tell you the cost, as my compressor came with 3 3lb bags of fine charcoal and my dive shop gave me the descicant I needed. They also assisted me with the 1st filling of the canister. You may be able to find someone local that would be willing to assist you with your compressor ie Dive shops, compressor companies and fellow divers who have experience with HP compressors.

The canister that I have is a direct fill type. First a metal screen is installed, then a 1/4" felt, quarter of the capacity of the canister is filled with descicant, another 1/4" felt separator, half of the capacity of the canister is filled with charcole, another 1/4" felt separator, then the last quarter of the canister is filled with descicant, another 1/4" felt and the second metal screen, install cap, reconnect to compressor, pressurize and test for leaks, using a soap and water solution. You are then ready to fill tanks, hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom