Advice for taking that first big step

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clpkab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be completing my OW certification next month. (Currently have PADI "Scuba Diver" certfication.)

My first two OW dives were in Cozumel and we did a shore entry. My next OW dives will be in Key Largo, and I'll be entering from a boat. I'm assuming, at this point, this will mean making the giant stride.

I've never been a big fan of jumping into pools. I'm hoping that knowing that I have the bcd and an air supply will help me take the plunge.

Appreciate any advice anyone can share to help me prepare.:help:

Last edited:
Make sure your air is on. Inflate your BCD, hang onto your mask (I put one hand over my mask and reg in my mouth and one hand holding my computer and light and whatever else). And be really glad it's warm water. Up here, we're usually giant striding into 40 degree water, and there's no way to trick yourself into thinking it won't be that bad.

You may very well be totally assuming wrong.Most of my diving has been boat dives and I've only ever done a giant stride once. Most of the time it was the ol back roll over the side which is really easy. CHECK THERES NOONE BEHIND YOU ,Hand over mask,second stage in your mouth make sure fins are clear and lean back.
Even if you do a giant step entry it really isnt a biggie. you kinda just sink down.
Dont forget the surface OK signal and to get clear for the next diver to get in.

Everyone has given sound advice already. Be prepared to make a few backroll entries on certain boats.
In terms of being frightened about entering, all I can say is suck it up and grow a pair. Just another small thing to overcome in the world of scuba. :wink:

Search the forums for boating etiquette so you don't step on any toes as a new boat diver.
A few big no nos to get you started are:
- Non-camera gear in the camera rinse bucket
- Wet gear/bodies in the dry area
- Contaminating the mask rinse bucket with bodily fluids
- Vomiting up-current and up-wind

When you set your gear down on the bench check your hoses as some benches can snag them. Make sure you're not going to crush anyone's gauges or your own.
When you gear up and stand up from the bench, do so slowly as once again the benches can snag them and pop your regulator and gauges from the hose.

When you get ready for your entry
1) Reg in your mouth
2) Inflate your BC a bit; unless briefed to descend immediately after entry
3) Hug all your hoses so they don't snag on any rails and leave you hanging (literally)
4) Hands on your mask and weight belt
5) Check to make sure your entry area is clear of all divers
6) Enter
7) Give Safety Diver the OK unless your briefed to drop down immedietly

As you're entering the boat from the water be sure to stand clear of any divers ahead of you on the boat ladder. The last thing you want is +50lbs gear and diver falling back on you.

Don't overthink it. Get yourself ready before you even step up to the edge so you're ready to go, pause for a split second to make sure you're not jumping onto a shark and then just take a big step forward. If you stop for a long time and stare down at the water you'll just psych yourself out. Hopefully the dive op will make you practice whatever entry you'll be doing from the boat, in the pool first.

I feel your pain . . . uh, apprehension! The first time they made me do a giant stride into a pool, I was convinced I was going to drown. Although practice has taught me otherwise, I have never yet jumped off a boat that my heart wasn't in my throat about it. There's something unnatural about jumping into the water with 70 pounds of metal on your back, and your brain knows it!

The only thing you can do is grit your teeth and remind yourself that you have an inflated air bladder on you, as well, and you are NOT going to plummet straight down to the bottom of the ocean (and you aren't). Worrying about the humiliation of chickening out works for me, too :) (There's one dive boat in Southern California with about a 12 foot drop to the water, and I swear it's only shame that ever gets me to do that jump . . . )

No worries! A "Giant Stride" is not the only way to enter the water off a boat in Key Largo. Let your mate or DM know that you would like an alternate plan such as the "toilet seat" entry where you just turn around and sit down. Easy! Or the "Giant Fall"...... Often a seated entry is not out of the question. Again, communicate your intentions and have fun! As long as it is a safe entry IMO grace is not a requirement. Enjoy!

There's one dive boat in Southern California with about a 12 foot drop to the water, and I swear it's only shame that ever gets me to do that jump .
Holey cow 12 feet? Thats like jumping off the roof of a house. How on earth do the divers get back on board?

Just stick a leg out and fall forward.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom