Advice for Newbies Going to Fla Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some dive op.s put a guide in the water (e..g: Rainbow Reef Dive Center, but their boats are not small), and some do not. Be mindful that unless you want to pay for a private guide, or dive unguided, you may need to consider the trade-off involved, and find out what your intended op. does and doesn't do.

Richard.

I'm not a new diver, but new to the Keys. Which key do you experienced Key divers recommend if I only have a few days?

Key Largo (just in case you might have missed it).

Chug
Would always chose Key Largo, if IN "The Keys" to start from.

Some dive op.s put a guide in the water (e..g: Rainbow Reef Dive Center, but their boats are not small), and some do not. Be mindful that unless you want to pay for a private guide, or dive unguided, you may need to consider the trade-off involved, and find out what your intended op. does and doesn't do.

Richard.

Not only does Rainbow Reef Dive Center put guides in the water with you, they are the nation's #1 IDC...instructor development center. They train more scuba instructors than any other operation in the United States, and they are extremely qualified to take care of your open-water certification needs.

Once certified, you will be qualified to go and explore the reefs of Key Largo...with an experienced guide to show you all the cool things you should look forward to seeing in your diving future. Welcome to the sport of scuba diving...you will soon discover it's an addiction :banana:

I second everyone's recommendation on Key Largo as your starting point. I've dove in Marathon and the reefs were OK but not as spectacular as Key Largo. I'd like to hit Looe Key some day but every time I've tried the trips have been cancelled due to marine conditions.

December can have bouncy top side conditions which make small boats a challenge for me. The only pure 6-pack operator I've been out with in Quiecence: they're nice folks. I usually dive with Conch Republic and really like the staff and operation and the big Newton 46 boat but also can see why Rainbow Reef might be a nice choice for divers new to the Keys (given the dive guides are not an extra cost). I've only been out with Rainbow once but the DM's were incredibly nice, though I didn't use the guide service. I also tried Horizon Divers on this trip and really liked most of the staff: when I want a double dip on a wreck in the afternoon, I'll be using them.

Have a great time on your trip!

If you end up farther south, there are at least 3 dive ops with shops in Big Pine Key (30 miles above Key West), and several in Key West. You'd have to check about 6-pack style diving. For a reef trip, I doubt the boat size needs to make a difference (and there are advantages to a larger boat) - just make sure you pick one of the ops that gives you 60+ minutes of bottom time. The diving is in independent buddy pairs, so no worries about having to follow a DM if you don't wish to.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom