Advice for New Divers at Oronogo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice pic nagel. I did'nt notice the truck driving into the top cave until I took a closer look. Those caves are huge. This place has never really been on my to-dive list, but maybe I need to give it a second look.

Yes I'm looking forward to hitting this spot ver, very soon! thanks for the pic Nagel I love seeing old pics of the places that are now dive site's!

WOW Im glad you had fun at Oronogo. We may have passed since I was there this weekend as well not sure. Oronogo is not a typical dive site in that its size is limited somewhat but what it makes up for is that its got so much to offer plus an onsite dive store.

There is somewhat of thermocline that can be sharp (As much as 50 degrees at 30 feet.) but I have quiet honestly began to call it my dive home :)

If you have any questions about it and I may be able to help let me know soybeanqueen

How is the bubblier system working? I haven't been there since they installed it and am having issues figuring it out. Is it just like a huge fish tank aerator?

I am sorry that I did not see this thread earlier, SBD. I was there the 19th, 20th, and 21st so I am sure that we saw each other.

As for the bubbler system..........yes, it is in effect a giant aeriator. It has had several effects on the lake. First, the vis has reduced for a bit. Second, it is pulling the warmer water from the top and increasing temps on the bottom. In effect, it is basically creating a man made "turn" in the lake. While this has reduced visibility for a time, it seems to have been a little bit clearer this weekend. Time will tell what the long term effects will be.

I will try to pay more attention here, so you all let me know when you are coming down. I spend quite a bit of time at Oronogo, so we should be able to hook up.

DW

darkwolf I was there with a partner who is really new to the sport so he was having trouble getting under. I may have ran across you and never knew it . As for the bubbler i did notice there was a warmer trend as it was in the lower 60s at 50 feet as opposed to the traditional 50 feet constant below the thermocline.

Well Im off to Oronogo on the 4th of July weekend so maybe we will run across each other then.

There is somewhat of thermocline that can be sharp (As much as 50 degrees at 30 feet.) but I have quiet honestly began to call it my dive home :)

I was noticing the cold by the time we finished up our second dive on Sunday. It was still fun diving, though.

Oronogo is close enough to home for us that I suspect we'll make several trips there this summer. Hope to see you there!

I was there the 19th, 20th, and 21st so I am sure that we saw each other.

I will try to pay more attention here, so you all let me know when you are coming down. I spend quite a bit of time at Oronogo, so we should be able to hook up.

We did pass one another a few times - I recognize you now from your profile. :D

Looking forward to seeing you there another weekend!

k ellis, we will be there the weekend of the 4th as well. Our dive club is having a get-together and BBQ. If you would like, you are more than welcome to bring something and join us. John and Regina have also given us the go-ahead to shoot off fireworks the evening of the 4th. Look forward to seeing you there.

SoybeanQueen, I was sure that we had passed each other a few times. Let me know when you are going to make it back and we can see about setting up some dives if you like.

Personally, I am hoping that the bubbler improves things. The temps at the Cabin Cruiser (about 100') have increased from 50 degrees to 59 degrees! I am curious to see at what point everything levels off and begins to stay constant again.

Anyone else planning to be at Oronogo for the weekend of the 4th?

DW

Wow 9deg! It doesn't sound like much but anything is better than 50deg especially in a wetsuit. I am wondering what will happen to the water if this actually works. Will we start to see algae growth or will the water warm up and the vis clear up without any side affects?

Back
Top Bottom