Advice for New Divers at Oronogo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoybeanQueen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My husband and I are heading to Oronogo tomorrow to take advantage of one of very few weekends where we can both dive. We wanted to make it a whole weekend at Beaver Lake but couldn't quite work that out.

I've been reading threads on Oronogo here and looked at the most recent conditions reports, but I'm wondering if anyone has advice on how to plan our dives there, what to see, etc.

Our dives before this have been off of boats, to specific spots, with a good idea of which direction to swim once we were in. Having never done a quarry dive before, I'm envisioning just wandering down, jumping in, and then giving my husband the signal for "where do we go now???"

I'd like to add a question to this. I have been told by diver's and one LDS that the water their has wierd propertys in it. Is this true? I have never been their but plan to in a few weeks.

Heres a map to help with your planning.

http://www.divesitescuba.com/Images/oronomap.gif

I have only been there once, and it was a few years ago. I wouldnt be able to advise of any good dive plans.

I have also heard that about their water. I do not know if that is true or not, but I do know I did not see any fish on either dive there. I thought that was weird.

I have also heard that the operator there has been known to spot check dive computers to make sure you arent diving outside your training level. Again, I did not see that done, just what I heard.

Have fun this weekend.

Thanks for the map! I was going to make a joke about needing a map to draw on my dive slate... :D Very helpful.

The weird water properties and no fish sightings are interesting. I'm still at the stage where anything I see is the coolest fish ever, though. I excitedly pointed out a "massive" bluegill to my husband at Beaver Lake and was later told that it was really a rather small one. If I see no fish at Oronogo it just reduces the likelihood of surface interval mockery.

There are a few people here that go there alot, so they will be able to give you some good information. I have only been there once, but I would recommend following the road to the left as you enter the water. This makes a gradual slope with lots of stuff to see.
I have not heard about or noticed the weird water properties.

SBQueen if you want something neat to look at on Beaver try Monte Ne, its an old amp theater. I had a blast their last summer even with the water as high as it was! I'm looking to get back their ASAP. i have put in a small map i've been working on as well. :eyebrow:

Attachments

• MonteNeColorMapw925h532 - Copy.jpg
    MonteNeColorMapw925h532 - Copy.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 174
You are probably already jumping in the water as I write this.....anyway, after you make the long trip down the hill....stop, catch your breath. Get in. If you go to the left you will follow a gradual road down to some neat things...plane, computer, etc. If you go out a little further and drop it will go to about 90 feet and you will see the opening of some of the caverns. I've only been there once, but need to get back.

Don't forget to give us a report on the conditions at www.midwestmucking.com

Snagel

For others who want to visit Oronogo for the first time, we did make it there today and had a pretty good time. The walk to the water is not a lot of fun with any amount of gear or wetsuit on, but that just means the water feels really, really good when you finally get in.

Following the road to the left of the entrance as suggested was easy and made for a great first dive there. We followed some lines between the computer work station and training platforms, and then on to the airplane, which is at about 45 ft. Was about 60 degrees down there and the vis was maybe 15 feet.

I didn't notice any strange properties about the water. It was... watery and... wet. Though, it did used to be a lead mine, so maybe an analysis would be interesting. I did, indeed, see some fish, so Oronogo is not fish-free. :)

Thanks, Nagel!

I think we may head back for a few more dives today after church.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom