Advice for first time in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alam555

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,
My wife ard and I thinking of visiting Mexico alongwith our two kids 6 and 1. Naturally, I have to find a place that has good diving. We would love to do an All Inclusive resort place that is family friendly so that everyone can be happy :)

Currently I am thinking of either Puerto Vallarta(seemingly good deals from vancouver) or La Paz(which I hear is like the galapagos of Mexico.), but am open to other suggestions as well.

We will be travelling christmas time.

appreciate all the advice and thoughts.

thanks

personally, i think the yucatan would be nicer. good diving, much warmer (and clearer) water that time of year and plenty of all-inclusives. i do not have any specific recommendations since we have only stayed at condos or hotels but i'd check out cozumel and the coast between play del carmen and tulum.

Puerto Vallarta is great that time of year. The celebration of Guadalupe starts on December 6th and lasts for 10 days - it would be a lot of fun for the kids. Parades, floats, a big street fair and it happens every night.

As far as resorts, I've stayed at the Crown Paradise and heard good things about Villa de Palmar. The diving is pretty good too - we use 5 mil suits during the winter here but the viz should be good, plus the whales will be back in the bay by then.

If your going to PV I'd recommend staying at Dreams Or Mismoloya...it's futher south and more quite and romantic. Plus alot of diving is right in Los Arcos (real close) its not super but it will get you by, big wall there too. Just don't make the mistake of going all the way to the marina and then back. There used to be a dive shop right b/4 the road south along the coastline (oceanquest) have fun

personally, i think the yucatan would be nicer. good diving, much warmer (and clearer) water that time of year and plenty of all-inclusives. i do not have any specific recommendations since we have only stayed at condos or hotels but i'd check out cozumel and the coast between play del carmen and tulum.

Not having been everywhere in the world, I would suggest that you take a look at the Yucatan, too. A good place to find some AI's would be Apple Vacations. I've stayed at the Riu Yucatan a couple times and am planning on the Iberostar next June. These have been family vacations, but there are dive ops on site.

At the Riu complex it was Scuba Caribe. At the Iberostar it's Dressel Divers. The one drawback is that at these there is no dock to board the boat. You haveto don your gear (less tank) and wade out to the boat, maybe chest deep in water. Not the greatest thing, but hey, I don't have to have every convenience on every trip.

The up side is that these resorts have pretty good food and lots of it. Really nice beaches and clean as a whistle. Snack bars and bars (drinks) at the pool, with a swim up bar. You have a wife and a 6 year old that need to be considered, too. I think you'd do well at a resort like this.

If you check them out and are interested you can PM or email me and I can tell you more about some of the diving, or answer any other questions to the best of my ability.

If a beach is not a priority you could look at the Hotel Cozumel. Nice place on the island with a great pool and top notch diving (drift diving). Food's not as good as the mainland resorts, though.

Booking Christmas and havent already! Yikes!
Good all inc in Cozumel is Park Royal. Has a good kids club for your 6 yr old. El Cozumeleno is also good but on the north end of town and furthest from diving. I have stayed at both alot...Park Royal 3 times this year and I am a travel agent and could stay about anywhere. I book Cozumel alot along with Myan Riveria. There are many wonderful all inclusives in that area. I would suggest Gran Porto Real because it is so close to town and the ferry to cozumel. The Iberostar are great for families. The Barcelo is along way from anything down in Akumal but wonderful.
The Riu Palaces are very nice and upscale. You need to get booking on this because air and hotels get very full during Christmas season. Prices are definately higher too. If you can go in January you can find some good deals. It is not crowded then either.
Have fun wth your family and email me if you want more information from a travel agent that has been there and done all that many times. I am truthful and will tell you if you are picking out a place I dont consider good for you and your family. If you want to dive, you need to go to Cozumel over the other destinations in Mexico and it tends to run cheaper in price on the hotels.
Not sure about air from what city you live in???without looking something up. If you can get from Vancover to Cozumel I would suggest that if you want to dive...if just a family vacation, cozumel or myan riveria but PVR hotels suggested already are in a beautiful area. Cabo will have cold water and not as family friendly on the resorts in my opinion as the other choices.
Whatever you decide have a great time and make lots of good memories and take pictures so when the kids get big you can show them!

I was down to Mexico for the first time myself this august..
My one general advice with regards to Mexico is to not buy into the whole "this place is much better than that place" thing.. We all have our preferences and we might want to have a look around at different places before we know what we like..
Thats why I went for MAD when I went to Mexico - They offer diving in Cancun, Cozumel, the cenotes and whaleshark tours. I did them all and know what part of it I could be without. However, the part I could be without is not neccesarilly what YOU would want to sacrifice..

Back
Top Bottom