Advice for Fiji trip - April 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

little_turtle

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am just looking for some advice for an upcoming trip to Fiji in April.

My husband and I have previously stayed at Nukubati and we really enjoyed the diving there. We are trying to decide whether we should return to Nukubati or try somewhere new, given we are probably looking for something more budget friendly.

The main areas that I have been looking at are:

Taveuni – I am a bit concerned about some comments regarding the affects of the cyclone last March, and currents along the Somosomo Strait. We would most likely be aiming to explore the Rainbow Reef, however understand this can be weather dependant.

Savusavu - Namena sounds great, however I understand it is quite a trip out there from Savusavu, and I also understand getting to Namena can be very weather dependant given the distance.

Kadavu - sounds great, and the reefs seem quite close.

Basically I just wanted to ask those who have done some more extensive diving in Fiji where they have been, where they would / wouldn't return to and why.

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

We have just got a quote from Mai Dive resort on Kadavu. Very reasonable considering they include the flight from nadi to Kadavu in the cost. It looks like a great resort and I am going to book it ASAP. The Astrolabe Reef looks amazing and they have said we can do more than the two dives a day for a cost of around $50 Aud per third dive. We ad doing another liveaboard later in the year so fancied a bit of time on dry land for a change. This looks like the perfect place to do it :D

The Astrolabe Reef is GREAT diving.......if the weather cooperates so that you can get outside the reef. Diving in the channel is ok but not really anything to get excited about. So the weather is going to have a LOT to do with just how good the diving is.

I just came back from Taveuni and stayed at Garden Island Resort, they are the closest resort to Rainbow Reef and we dived there 6 days in a row. Great diving and the currents can be swift, but the divemasters can get you to dive spots where it's not that strong, it just depends on the tide. My wife isn't a big fan of swift currents and they took great care of her. I highly recommend that dive operation.

Nice place, good food, no real nightlife but we were there to dive and relax. The view from the pool area is one of the finest I've ever seen, just beautiful.

Hi
Taveuni. I agree with above comments. There are lots of options for accommodation from 5* Paradise Taveuni, to 2-3* Dolphin Bay Divers Retreat. Garden Island is a good middle option and generally well liked. Yes there are currents but you aren't expected to swim against them. No issues re cyclones to worry about - unless one decides to stop by while you are there :)

Namena is one of my favorite spots. Savusavu based resorts, KoroSun or Cousteau are fine - the later being a bit overpriced IMHO. It is about a 45min trip to Namena from Savusavu. You could of course stay on Namena at the Moodys resort there.

Mai Dive on Ono is lovely. Astrolabe reef dives are probably some of the most weather prone, but on a good day, truely world class.

A little more down market is Wananavu from where you can dive the Vatu-i-Ra passage, but not every day.

Do let me know if you want any more info or suggestions
Have a great trip

Cheers
greg

Thanks for your input everyone, I really appreciate it!

Greg, thanks for mentioning Wananavu as an option. As we are more budget conscious for this Fiji trip as opposed to our last, any recommendations for good value destinations with great diving is much appreciated.

I have come down to two options, either:
Taveuni (Taveuni Dive or Taveuni Ocean Sports), or
Wananavu (Ra Divers - are they still the operators, reviews seem to be mixed?).

Kadavu is high on my list, but I think we will go there another time when our budget is a bit higher, as I definitely want to stay at Mai Dive.

Taveuni obviously has the additional cost of the internal flights, so I would try and get a last minute accommodation rate a couple of weeks before arriving on the island. Alternatively, I can get a good rate at Wananavu.

Essentially, we are going to Fiji for the diving (between 4 and 7 days of at least two tanks, if not a third). Given we are on a budget, and given great diving is our primary objective, would you recommend Wananavu over Taveuni, or vice versa?

Or potentially any other recommendations?

Thanks again for your help!

hey little turtle. i just got back from wananavu and still as wow as ever. new dive operation with reef safari but kristen & jeremy just swell. new boat, new equipment, really good safety and still the best diving in fiji. happy hour a great time to meet other divers and guests - i travelled alone. not sure on fiji diver saying down market? for me, best value in the country. contact them direct for a deal dive@wananavu.com also no extra plane ride.

Thanks for the reply Blighbaby, much appreciated. Good to know about the new dive operation, it sounds like a professional set up.

How many days did you make it out to Bligh Waters during your stay? I know some people have been very disappointed with not getting out there enough (due to conditions).

Thanks for the reply Blighbaby, much appreciated. Good to know about the new dive operation, it sounds like a professional set up.

How many days did you make it out to Bligh Waters during your stay? I know some people have been very disappointed with not getting out there enough (due to conditions).
We stayed at Wananavu in October and we made it out to the Bligh every day except one. We could have gone out that day too but opted to try a new reef! It was a GREAT dive operation.( reef safaris) They aim to please!

Hey little turtle - 4 days out of 6 coulda gone more but sailstone reef is just as spectacular and only 20 minutes way. have fun

Back
Top Bottom