Advice for Experienced diver going to Paradise Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Polpessa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to Paradise Island in early-mid August and would like some advice on where to dive and who to dive with.

I am an experienced diver with over 500 dives so I don't want to be paying for dives where I have to come up after less than 60 mins. Are there any dive shops that will allow me to do hour plus long dives? Is there any shore diving there? I HATE doing dives with more than 5 other divers, are there any shops that have small numbers on their dives? What are the best dive sites? What is the water temp in August? In order to see the good sites do I need to book trips to smaller islands near Paradise Island? If so, which ones? I don't want to be at "well-used" sites with dead coral etc. Also, are there any nudibranchs around? Can anyone reccomend any DMs or instructors that are good at finding them and other hard-to-find critters and who know the reef well?

All the info I have read on this site is from 2004 so any current advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

There are only two regular dive operations on New Providence.

Of the two, Bahama Divers sounds more like what you're looking for. They're located at the base of the bridge to Paradise Island so close to where you're staying also. They have one boat which can be crowded occasionally but would likely be better than the other choice.

The other op, Stuart Coves is a 7 boat, 24 divers per boat, cruise ship, hotel catering operation. So probably not what you're looking for. They do the Bond(007) wrecks, shark feeds etc. more of the "well-used" stuff. They're also located on the south side of New Providence so it's an hour shuttle each way when the cruisers are in town. (daily) The shuttle is free but still...

The bad news is that Stuart Cove's limits bottom time and I've read that maybe Bahama Divers has followed suit.

There's also a third option which is a private charter through a smaller outfit in the marina. I can't recall their name just now, but there's someone who posts here regularly who probably will. If not, I'll try to dig it up. But the charters were more than $700/day as I recall so not good unless you've got a group.

There's much more current info on this site than 2004. I've replied in multiple posts this year in this forum. Not sure what you're searching for but if you click Search in the blue menu bar at the top of this page, then Advanced Search, type in Nassau Diving and select the Bahamas forum only in the list near the bottom, you'll get pages of current information.

How committed are you to Paradise Island? Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros sounds like what you're looking for.

Bahamas Diving Assn. has a website with more information.

The other option is to rent a boat, get air (no Nitrox) at Bahama Divers, and go for it yourself (that's what I intend to do in the Abacos). It's not hard to find the major sites (many are marked).

I'm headed to Paradise Island in late November and have many of the same questions. Polpessa, let me know what you end up doing and what you thought about it, if you don't mind. Thanks!

Hi Everyone,
First of all, thanks for the advice from everyone who wrote. Divecustomaquatics does look good but since I was there on my own the $700-$1000 price range for chartering a private boat was out of the question.

Here are my experiences:
I assumed I would be diving with Bahama Divers since they are located quite close to Paradise Island (10 min drive away) and Stuart Cove's is about 50 mins away. Plus, reading what sjspeck said above (as well as others on another site I posted on) I was not keen on the idea of diving with Stuart Cove's.

On arrival, I phoned Bahama Divers and asked about their 2-tank dive the following morning. They told me the first dive would be 30mins long and to about 80 ft and the second about 45 mins long. When I explained that I was an instructor and have my own computer and asked if there was any way I could stay down longer than 30 mins and go a bit deeper than 80 ft they said flat out no. I asked whether they had any reccomendations for more advanced divers (I HATE going for a 30 min dive) they said, "no, call Stuart Cove's". Wow, some business sense!!

So, I did. I called them and to my surprise, they were very accomodating. I decided to give them a try and booked their 2-tank morning dive for the following day. While it is true that they are a big, busy operation, they also have a well set up shop and I found their staff to be friendly, helpful and flexible. When I told the instructor/DM on my boat that I was an instructor, she said as long as I had a buddy with me, I could get in the water ahead of everyone else and dive my own dive as long as I was back at the boat by an appointed time. Perfect! I buddied up and had a 55 minute, totally independent dive away from the crowd, EXACTLY what I had wanted.

I continued to dive with them for the rest of the week and found all the other instructors/DMs to be similarly accomodating. All my dives were 50-60 mins long and conducted away from the rest of the group. I also did not find the boats overcrowded, although August is not high season.

The diving was ok. Over 7 dives, other than the usual suspects, I saw 1 turtle, 1 stingray, 1 yellow ray, and a couple of nudibranchs. The walls were pretty nice and some of the wrecks were picturesque. I didn't do the shark dive as I don't really like the idea of feeding them and it cost a lot more than the "regular" dives.

I also dived once with Bahama Divers as my boyfriend decided to do a Discover Scuba Diving course and he didn't want to go all the way to Stuart Cove's. I found the instructor to be good during the pool session but once we got to the shop in the afternoon for the open water dive it all went downhill. First of all, there were 42, yes, FORTY-TWO people on the boat. It was so crowded no one could move. Some were snorkellers, some experienced divers, and some, like my boyfriend, had never dived before. The instructors were obviously very stressed trying to deal with such a large number of people with such varying experience levels and were yelling at eachother, frustrated, and disorganised. At one point they wanted to give 7 DSD students to the instructor that was working with my boyfriend and when I pointed out that I was under the impression that was against PADI standards I was openly ridiculed by one of the other instructors in an angry way. In the end he was given 6, perhaps because of my comment.

We were taken to a crap divesite, which is fine and even appropriate for the DSD students (lots of sand etc) but what about the experienced divers? If I had signed up for their afternoon dive and been taken there I would've been quite angry.

I later spoke to the instructor and he said it wasn't always that busy, but still, I felt it was irresponsible for them to put so many people on the boat together. Everyone, customers and employees alike, were confused and stressed, and my boyfriend was already stressed about doing his first OW dive and found the experience to be the opposite of relaxing.

So, overall, to my surprise, I would reccomend Stuart Cove's over Bahama Divers.
Anyone with more questions feel free to PM me if you like.

I can echo Polpessa's comments.

Stuart Cove DM's will allow you to do your own thing (with a buddy) but you have to be back on the boat on there schedule. Sit near the back and be the first in the water and you will get 50+ minute dives. It always seems like it takes 10 minutes to get everyone in so if you get in early you will get 10+ minutes extra dive time.

I also had a good experience diving with SCoves. Interesting dive, helpful and friendly staff, good equiptment, small group.

The only thing they messed up was my pickup in Nassau but they got me on the next bus.

I hate being pulled out of the water! our best trips are those where we do our own thing. I could care less about meeting the "schedule" of the operator. Don't get me wrong, I'm a cooperative and friendly person, but I don't get a chance to dive that often and to have your time arbitrarily cut short.... Ugh! My wife and I are also headed for Atlantis, in order to hook up with some non-diver friends. ANY adivce on a flexible dive operator would be much appreciated.

This is an old thread but let me chime in from the standpoint of an operator. You may not care about our schedule, but our afternoon divers do. If you came to me and said you were going to disregard the schedule, I'd be less than pleased. If you did what Polpessa did and came to me and said that you were rather experienced and had a buddy and you'd like to get in the water ahead of everyone else to grab a few extra minutes of bottom time, I'd be more than accommodating.

The ultimate in flexibility is to rent a boat, a boat and a captain, or a boat, a captain and a divemaster. Beyond that, you're going to have to obey some sort of schedule or risk the ire of the dive operator.

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom