Advice for Cozumel, Mexico Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5mm all the way if you have it.

We're getting some cold days blow in at the moment. Probably not cold for normal people, but for us who spend all day in the water, it's freezing!

If you're going to be doing 4 dives in one day, I'd put some proper rubber on.

You shouldn't be nervous about rental gear, just give it all a check before, you'll be fine.

i was there in December and again the end of May. some days I wore a 3mm shortie and other days used swim trunks and a tshirt. if you get cold easy, take the wetsuit.

Sounds like a 3 mil would be perfect for you. I'm surprised that you'll be able to get in 4 dives in Coz from a cruise ship though.

I was also surprised on the 4 dives. However i am sure they will be short dives or 2 longer ones. The duration for the excursion is 5 hours. We'll see :)

I wore a 5 mm in Coz in January. Below 100' it was nice, above 50 it got a little warm and I had to pull the neck to let in some cooler water. If you are generally staying above 100 feet and not doing deco dives, then I would go with a 3 mil. A dive skin in November might get a bit cold for multiple dives.

I was wondering if those out there that have had experience diving in Cozumel used a skin suit or a thin wet suit? I am going Nov 15 on a cruise and I am lining up 4 dives while at port. I am bringing most of my gear since the thought or relying on used gear kind of makes me nervous (BC, 1st/2nd stage, mask, fins).

Thanks

I always wear my 3mm suit the year round and when it's cooler opt for my drysuit hood and even a 2mm shorty when it's really cold.

Be sure and take a good heavy wooly warm up type jacket. It will be invaluable if you have some overcast skies and even a mild wind.

I've always used a 3mm full suit in Cozumel. Gloves are not permitted in the marine park though.

I dive a 3/2 for a little warmth but mostly as a rash guard just incase since Cozumel is mostly drift diving.

A lot depends on the weather. Since you won't be there for very long, you'll manage with whatever you bring. The water is 80 degrees that time of year.

Personally, when I'm there at that time of year, diving 3-4 times daily for 10 days, I wear a 5mm and a hood. If it's stormy and raining it can get rather cool.

Back
Top Bottom