Advice for an inexperienced diver in Bali/Konodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are some ripping/challenging currents in Komodo so you should definitely let the liveaboard operator know your expereince level before you book.

And repeat it once you are on the boat in case the info has not been passed on.

As for Bali, well the diversity of sites is one of the reasons that people keep coming back to dive Bali - and a site that is calm this week/month, may not be the same the following week/month.

Some very general rules, Menjangan Island (northern side of the nw point) has the calmest conditions year-round, but Tulamben is the easiest dive site - Amed too is generally gentle. However as both Tulamben and Amed are shore-diving, if it's wavy then entry and exit require attention.

Please let me know if you'd like more info.

Have a great trip whether you do Bali and/or Komodo.

doctorsi:
I've been reading some of the posts about diving in Bali and Komodo. I am thinking of heading out for 3 weeks in October ( some might say I like to leave things to the last minute! ) I've only done about 30 dives and most in pretty warm and currentless conditions, am I bitting off more than I can chew if I go for a Komodo liveaboard and will the operators around the place be able to provide me with enough insulation!!

doctorsi

I say GO FOR IT!
Remember your basics & if your neutral bouyancy skills leave something to be desired just keep your distance. By the end of your voyage you'll be in top shape. You might want to invest in a hood. When I dove Komodo those multiple dives
would give me a chill. I borrowed a hood and was nice and toasty, the rest of the trip. Be sure and dive Yellow Wall and Cannibal. You're going to have a blast!!!

You should definitely go for it. the diving around Komodo/Rinca is superb. Make sure you have a warm i.e. 5mm wetsuit if you get cold easily or at least a good hood. I did most of my dives in a 3mm wetsuit with hood and felt fine (in July). Manta Alley, South Komodo should not be missed - it's a cleaning station where we saw many mantas and some divers from my boat (MY Aqua One) also saw a lone Mola mola at around 15m on 4th July 2004. Sangean Island/Volcano also offers very good diving - lots of nudibranchs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom