Advice for a trip to the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a free flight on Air Tran (thanks to mechanical problems that left me sleeping in the Atlanta airport) and one destination I'm thinking of is the Bahamas. I've never been there. I had considered flying in and diving on the Carib Dancer, but due to the negative reports about that vessel I'm looking elsewhere.

I'd like to do either a live-aboard trip or, as a less expensive option, a backpacker or economy resort/dive center operation. Would welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks.

drbill,

Bahamas is/are great !! Many, many great places to dive, be it resort or live aboard. My brief 2 cents is go to Grand Bahama, (50 miles off of Florida coast) and got to UNEXSO. Why ? Fantastic dive opp, friendly, great staff and people, plus you get all types of diving in one spot. Shark, reef, wreck, cave, dolphin, macro, wide angle, close focus wide angle, etc. It's laid back, quiet, good food. If you do any of the Shark dives, you will probably do them with Cristina Zenato. She is an amazing person, educator, diver, Womens Hall of Fame Diver, etc. I think you would be one to appreciate diving with her and being around her. FWIW, I'll be heading back there in June 2013. Might actually be hosting/leading a group.

Drbill, I can hardly believe you have never done the Bahamas. Are you dragging all your camera gear or is this a purely recreational effort? I enjoy the Bahamas as much as anywhere in the Caribbean (for the anal retentive I know that it is actualy the south atlantic). I see more BIG stuff than anywhere else in the Caribbean (no, I have not done the whale shark snorkel off isla mujeres , that would certainly qualify as big stuff). I have done land based diving from Nassau and also from Grand Bahama. I have been researching the Aqua cat and it looks like it will get my $ next time down. It seems to hit all the best sites plus some that only a liveaboard gets to. My only question were I you is can you fit all your video gear on the camera table :)_

Also check out Stella Maris on Long Island. Their DM Robert is great. We only dove one reef but there's also wrecks, Conception Island and Deans Blue Hole. They shuttle you to the dive boat (it's on the west side of the island, resort is on the east) but to get anywhere else you'll need to rent a car. The island is pretty rural. Tickets from Nassau are about $200.

Thanks all. I'm still looking into my options for this trip and have not made a decision, but appreciate the feedback. YES, I'll be bringing my video rig... I never dive without it!

Hey farsidefan (objects may be closer than they appear) can you tell me more about Unexso/Grand Bahama? That's what I'm looking at for late May/early June...provided airfare comes down a bit.

I would agree that Blackbeard's sailboats are probably your best bet for the money.

We have had nothing but positive reviews.

I dove with Sun Oddysy (sp?) but I don't know if they are still in business. I did do the shark dive with Unexso and they had a good operation. A bit crowded but good boat and staff. They are the big dog on the island. Hope you don't meet a hurricane. My last trip there was in August and we had hurricanes lined up out the ying yang. Earlier in the yr you should be fine. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom